Global Outage - problems 19 july

s'nic

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Wow, just wow. Our scary reliance on technology

Screenshot from the BBC's live feed :rofl:
1721394904972.png

I cannot believe I am about to write this but ...
I feel sorry for Microsoft

They are not at fault.
The problem seems to be with the very popular security tool, CrowdStrike, that Microsoft use in their cloud which is leading to the issues

I totally agree, this was cause by a CrowdStrike bug, but the prevalence of microsoft has brought everything crashing down.
As an ex IT professional I just found that 'off and on again' funny .. IT is like ...
1721399020267.png

But on a serious note, if we did have a technology extinction event then we would be in deep trouble. eg for those who have seen it - like at the end of the film The World's End (staring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost).

How many basics (including food, medicine and clothing) are imported from overseas. I don't think UK could support itself atm. An isolated UK would be thrown back to sailing to Europe initially to trade, and without navigation technology.

Do I think we will be without technology and the ability to import from distant countries? Nope.
But theoretically anything is possible. No one thought we'd have a pandemic at the end of 2019.
I strongly doubt any government has given little (if any) thought to contingency in such a situation, which is not a comforting thought.

Just a small window into how it might affect us - I use the NHS app to order repeat prescriptions but it was affected by the outage caused by the Crowdstrike error.

However, NHS have an emergency number 111 where you can order repeat prescriptions to be sent directly to your chosen chemist/provider.
P.S.The website https://111.nhs.uk/ is less useful and tries to send you back to the defunct NHS app.

However, NHS have an emergency number 111 where you can order repeat prescriptions to be sent directly to your chosen chemist/provider.
And I think your regular pharmacist (presuming you regularly collect from the same one) can provide emergency medication.

It is all obviously a catastrophe. Very much the kind of scale that was feared for Y2K. (Different, obviously: this one's only Windows, and people could see Y2K in advance and were able to fix almost everything.)

And I think your regular pharmacist (presuming you regularly collect from the same one) can provide emergency medication.

It is all obviously a catastrophe. Very much the kind of scale that was feared for Y2K. (Different, obviously: this one's only Windows, and people could see Y2K in advance and were able to fix almost everything.)
I was one of those people patching an organisations PC's and various servers to prevent a year 2000 meltdown. In total the various servers ran four different operating systems, so different fixes were needed.
Another time I spent most of the night patching pc's and servers in a different company when a virus spread like wildfire across the site. We went home 3 or 4 am, then back in next morning to mop up. That was a fun day, the point it got super serious at was when we visited each department and told them to pull the network cables out the back of their pcs!

Something like this will happen again, I'm 100% sure of that.

I cannot believe I am about to write this but ...
I feel sorry for Microsoft

They are not at fault.
The problem seems to be with the very popular security tool, CrowdStrike, that Microsoft use in their cloud which is leading to the issues
Dont be sorry for Microsoft. Their whole business model is based on getting something nearly right, getting it out quickly to dominate a market and then fix problems as they arise. Its a fair model, trying to get something perfect before marketing is inordinately expensive and probably unattainable. It is just a pain if you happen to be the guinea pig who fall fouls of one of the problems.

it is because of the Microsoft business model that companies like that at the centre of the current problems exist. They no doubt work closely with Microsoft, and they are there to fix the holes. Whole thing is not helped by Microsoft trying to dominate generic business systems when a trivial problem (a misplaced comma in a bit of third party code perhaps) can affect all sorts of major businesses.

Its going to happen again.....

Friend of ours (well past retirement age now) still has a useful income from his business known as PC menders. Very useful bloke to know for many folk! (Shame he isn't mobile phone menders at the mo for me though! - sodding thing - and if I do get an HCL this one's most unlikely to be able to cope - the chaps at the local menders to us have been quite honest - Samsung and 'i' have effectively cornered the market and no-one in the UK can easily get hold of the bits to repair 'other brands', grrrrr.)

Samsung and 'i' have effectively cornered the market and no-one in the UK can easily get hold of the bits to repair 'other brands', grrrrr.)
If you dig a little more deeply you'll find (as I did), that virtually every other phone on the market is a chinese brand, a subsidiary of a chinese brand, or a brand which has been bought out by china.
I'm not anti-chinese, I just prefer to avoid such brands as a conscientious objection to the behaviour of the chinese government (there is a lot of state ownership).

If you dig a little more deeply you'll find (as I did), that virtually every other phone on the market is a chinese brand, a subsidiary of a chinese brand, or a brand which has been bought out by china.
I'm not anti-chinese, I just prefer to avoid such brands as a conscientious objection to the behaviour of the chinese government (there is a lot of state ownership).
And if you include products that contain components made in China that's about 99% of all technologies we have, as well as a bunch of plasticware, metalware, clothing and foodstuffs. That leaves self-sufficiency in a commune as a way out - so as long as we can rub two sticks together we'll be fine 😉

Back