Glimepiride

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaGreen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there,

After my last HbA1c horror story, my doctor put me on Metformin 1000mg. After 6 weeks of an upset stomach and almost constant nausea, today I got a replacement script for Glimepiride. Does anyone have any experiences with this drug, only I don't know anyone who has taken it.

Thanks for your help.

Victoria
😱

Nope, so I looked it up. It's a sulphonylurea like the more common Gliclazide and may cause hypos. Are you being allowed test strips?

Hi Victoria i have een taking glimepiride for a few months now and so far have had no problems with it.

Thanks Alison - yes, I am. I have been told to take my readings each day for the next week and report back to see if I'm on the correct dose.

Caroleann - that's good to know, thank you! The side effects of the metformin were HORRID!

the doc started me of on the 2mg and the 3mg after a week and now im on 4mg plus 2metformin a day but now looking at injecting because im still not getting the right levels,but thats not to say it wont work for you as we are all different. whatch out for the Hypo's i have had 2 since being on them.

Hi Vicki good to see you here... metformin is gross, I am on the slow release one now and cope better on that, although when my consultant decided to up my dose to 3000mg my tummy did rebel and nausea was horrible even with anti-emetics... hope the glimepiride works better for you.. xx

Hi Vicki and welcome totally agree with all the met gave me terrible nausea i hope the glimpride wors for you x

Hi there,

After my last HbA1c horror story, my doctor put me on Metformin 1000mg. After 6 weeks of an upset stomach and almost constant nausea, today I got a replacement script for Glimepiride. Does anyone have any experiences with this drug, only I don't know anyone who has taken it.

Thanks for your help.

Victoria
😱

Hi there,
you're a lucky bunny to be prescribed glimepiride. Its the Third Generation of Sulfonylurea drugs. It causes fewer hypos than the first ( tolubamide) and the second ( gliclazide) generation sulfs AND it helps combat Insulin Resistance ( your main problem). But its expensive and so hard to get for T2s.

I hope the glimperide works for you. In most cases the side effects of metformin wear off in 3 or 4 weeks, although I find if I have too many carbs in one go I get an upset tummy. At weekends I do treat my self to coffee with everything in it and pay for it next day!

Squidge!! Small world! Hello 🙂

Thanks for all your advice people! It is interesting to know how lucky I am to get this prescription. I always had a low opinion of the doctors in my surgery - 18months since diagnosis, constantly rising levels despite a complete overhaul on my diet and lifestyle, and still I have never seen a doctor about the diabetes, only the nurses every 3 months. I might start to revise my opinion, especially as they are completely happy to give me as many test strips as I like, and also gave me the monitor itself when I was first diagnosed.

As for the metformin - I was aware of the side effects, but after 6 weeks of almost debilitating side effects, I'm glad I asked for the swap.

Now I just hope it works effectively. 15.9 fasting this AM.

Squidge!! Small world! Hello 🙂

As for the metformin - I was aware of the side effects, but after 6 weeks of almost debilitating side effects, I'm glad I asked for the swap.

Now I just hope it works effectively. 15.9 fasting this AM.

hello again,
There's no susbstitute for metformin, its such an important drug for T2s. The official recommendation is you start on 500 and work up through 1000 to 1500 ( the mininum effective dose). perhaps you might try again when things settle down.
Have you read Maggie davey's Open Letter to newly Diagnosed T2s ? Its excellent advice on diet ....
http://www.sequin.pwp.blueyonder.co....ds/openlet.pdf

hello again,
There's no susbstitute for metformin, its such an important drug for T2s. The official recommendation is you start on 500 and work up through 1000 to 1500 ( the mininum effective dose). perhaps you might try again when things settle down.
Have you read Maggie davey's Open Letter to newly Diagnosed T2s ? Its excellent advice on diet ....
http://www.sequin.pwp.blueyonder.co....ds/openlet.pdf

Thanks Peter, maybe I will end up trying it again at some point, but I am not going to put up with those side effects when other drugs can do the same thing. It clearly doesn't work for me. Having to have time away from work due to the side effects of a drug is just crayzee 🙂

Thanks Peter, maybe I will end up trying it again at some point, but I am not going to put up with those side effects when other drugs can do the same thing. It clearly doesn't work for me. Having to have time away from work due to the side effects of a drug is just crayzee 🙂

Totally agree, when I was on 2000mg of metformin I spent most of the day in the bathroom, and I started a new job was there 3 weeks and then had a month off sick.. I changed GP as I moved area and she immediately said it was the metformin, reduced it to 1000mg and added in gliclizide, lasted on that a year and then went on insulin.. saw my DSN today and I have got to try going back up to 3000mg of the metformin sr as my sugars are all over the place, and my HbA1c is 9.9.

I'm a bit worried tbh. How long do these drugs take before you start to see a change in your readings? 6 weeks in to Metformin (stopped last night, only started the glimepiride this AM), I had a fasting BG of 15.9 this AM, 13.1 25 mins after eating lunch, and 11.5 3 hours after eating. My Kingdom for single figures!

I am not sure how long glimepiride takes to work, but looking at your readings for today they have been coming down gradually, so maybe in a few days you might hit the single figures. I know it stimulates the pancreas into secreting insulin, but don't know how long that takes.. keep us posted of your results..

Thanks Peter, maybe I will end up trying it again at some point, but I am not going to put up with those side effects when other drugs can do the same thing. )

Metformin and glimepiride dont do anything like the same thing.

I'm a bit worried tbh. How long do these drugs take before you start to see a change in your readings? 6 weeks in to Metformin (stopped last night, only started the glimepiride this AM), I had a fasting BG of 15.9 this AM, 13.1 25 mins after eating lunch, and 11.5 3 hours after eating. My Kingdom for single figures!

Hello again,

What are you eating ? What food is causing those numbers ?
Have you read Alan S ( the Australian T2 guru ) on "Test,Review,Adjust" ?
Link...
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/test-review-adjust.html

Metformin and glimepiride dont do anything like the same thing.

No, I realise this 🙂 I meant simply that both get those bloody numbers down.

I'm no expert Peter, I'm still coming to terms with what all this is about. As for what foods are causing the high levels - everything I eat it seems. I cannot get the figures down. I'm trying to find the balance between obsessing about the figures, and not testing all the time - I was advised to do it once or twice a week to get a feel for what they were doing and keep going back for the HbA1c's every 3 months.

No, I haven't read the article, thank you for the link, I will most certainly do so.

No, I realise this 🙂 I meant simply that both get those bloody numbers down.

I'm no expert Peter, I'm still coming to terms with what all this is about. As for what foods are causing the high levels - everything I eat it seems. I cannot get the figures down. I'm trying to find the balance between obsessing about the figures, and not testing all the time - I was advised to do it once or twice a week to get a feel for what they were doing and keep going back for the HbA1c's every 3 months.

No, I haven't read the article, thank you for the link, I will most certainly do so.

If you are a t2 who is testing you should also read "Jennifer's Smart Advice".
It's been doing the rounds for a decade or more, espouses the mantras of "Test,Test,Test" and "Eat to your Meter" and is claimed by some to be the best advice you are ever going to get ...
Link ...
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

Good testing times are ...
On waking (FBG) .. target ..under 6
Two hours after a meal .... Diabetes Uk target is...under 8.4 (tight controllers say under 6.7 ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back