Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas_99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone,

How long after you started on Gliclazide did it start to work… I am on 80mg a day and have been taking them consistently for a week and my blood glucose levels are still sitting between 11&20 mmol - I may be being impatient but I would have thought it would be working by now…
I’ve tried eating a little better but cautious about reducing carbs rapidly… wondering if maybe it could mean I’m type 1 not 2?

Welcome to the forum
Would you like to say a bit more about your diagnosis as that may give more of a clue about whether you 'fit' the usual Type 1 or Type 2 profile. What is your HbA1C for example and do you have weight to lose.
As you say your levels are still quite high so it is better to reduce them slowly as you are less likely to get eye and nerve issues. Gliclazide encourages the pancreas to produce more insulin if it is able but it can only do so much and it could be you are still having more carbs than your body can cope with even with the help of the medication.
Metformin is the usual first medication that people are prescribes as it can help the body use the insulin it is producing better and reduce the amount of glucose released by the liver however dietary changes are still needed.

Sorry I have just noticed your other posts.

Welcome to the forum
Would you like to say a bit more about your diagnosis as that may give more of a clue about whether you 'fit' the usual Type 1 or Type 2 profile. What is your HbA1C for example and do you have weight to lose.
As you say your levels are still quite high so it is better to reduce them slowly as you are less likely to get eye and nerve issues. Gliclazide encourages the pancreas to produce more insulin if it is able but it can only do so much and it could be you are still having more carbs than your body can cope with even with the help of the medication.
Metformin is the usual first medication that people are prescribes as it can help the body use the insulin it is producing better and reduce the amount of glucose released by the liver however dietary changes are still needed.
Hi, I was diagnosed with type 2 however have no common risk factors especially as I am only 23. I could loose weight but I’m not obese so again not a risk. The only person with diabetes is my cousin and she’s type 1.
My HbA1C was 105 which is why she diagnosed me with diabetes

In answer to your question @Jas_99. For me, gliclazide made a significant reduction in levels within a week or so of starting it and an equally quick rise when I stopped it. It's by no means certain that the same would happen with you, but I would be getting back to your GP and asking them the question.

Hello, my husband has also been given Gliclazide, his HbA1c was 121, with weight loss (he is very thin) but much older than you, we are awaiting the results of a GAD test for type 1. I didn’t think it was working but looking back over his fasting bloods (taken before eating each day) we have noticed that the average has come down very slightly. 10.2 this morning. We are on a low carb diet, with plenty of fish, meat, dairy, eggs, fruit and veg. He has pain issues so exercising is not really possible but as you are young, and hopefully fairly health, perhaps this is something you could increase.

My HbA1c ✻dropped✻ from 89 mmol/mol to 68 mmol/mol over 81 days after Gliclazide 30 mg was added in ..such is the 'long game' of glycæmic control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back