gliclazide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginjaninja

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just been put on gliclazide due to not having my blood tested for over 2 years by my GP. I don't reallyy want to do this. Are there any alternatives?

What are your results?
I personally took everything on offer while I brought my BG down, then reassessed my outlook.
Tablets were a lot better short term than runaway BG to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just been put on gliclazide due to not having my blood tested for over 2 years by my GP. I don't reallyy want to do this. Are there any alternatives?
What measures to reduce blood glucose have you been adopting already and what other medication are you taking as that will impact on what else you can do.
What is your Hba1C now?

What measures to reduce blood glucose have you been adopting already and what other medication are you taking as that will impact on what else you can do.
What is your Hba1C now?
I walk every day and have been on metaformin for the last 10 years my blood sugers are about 8.7. my diet has been rubbish and i am taking steps to improve that. I find a lot oof the information regarding diet confusing to say the least.

I walk every day and have been on metaformin for the last 10 years my blood sugers are about 8.7. my diet has been rubbish and i am taking steps to improve that. I find a lot oof the information regarding diet confusing to say the least.
You asked what else you could do other than taking the gliclazide and the thing that come to mind is dietary changes as that is equally if not more powerful than metformin.
Have a look at this link to see if it gives you some inspiration for making some changes. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

So you were diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 10 years ago and immediately started on metformin tablets then? What dosage of Met are you taking, and have you done anything to help yourself such as trying to adapt your diet in any way or fitting regular exercise into your lifestyle?

Now changed to SGLT2 which hopefully will be a bit easier to manage
Do make sure you drink plenty as that medication encourages the kidneys to excrete excess glucose via urine so it would be easy to become dehydrated. I think they suggest 2-3 litres a day of course that means frequent loo visits.
However reducing your carbohydrate intake is also important as medication can only do so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back