Gliclazide and Hunger

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr1979

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My doctor had put my prescription for Gliclazide up to 80ml a few months ago and since i've noticed that i'm always hungry!? I've actually put on around 14lbs since I was diagnosed in September (I was losing weight due to undiagnosed T2 at the time) I went for my first HbA1c bloods last week and was told that my bloods where down from 108 to 47 and i was no longer in the diabetic range. He has told me to reduced my dosage to 40ml and eventually ween myself off them.

Has anyone else had any kind of experience with these meds? As far as i was told i would lose weight on metformin, but my appetite has been ravenous.

I was on it initially, along with metformin, but also on a low fat diet, so I lost weight.

Hi. You may lose a little weight with Metformin as it reduces appetite. You will put on weight with Gliclazide if you have too many carbs so keep them down it's not the drugs but the carbs they help metabolise.

I have taken Metformin and I have never found it helped appetite or weight loss. I bever found Gliclazide made me hungry either.

Well Metformin was originally created and marketed as a weight loss drug and it was doctors who subsequently found that their overweight patients with diabetes who were taking it seemed to also get reduced HbA1c test results (except they called that test a Glycosylated haemoglobin test in those days) which started it being prescribed for T2 D in the first place - so if it does reduce your appetite for stodge, then that's generally no bad thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back