Gliclazide 80mgx2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottie Lottie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been taking gliclazide 80mg twice a day for a few years now and GP said to take it 20mins to 30mins before meals. I notice that some others take it with their food and checked the information sheet with medication and it says the same. I am doing wrong all this time?? A bit concerned.

glic takes about 20-30 mins to get going properly (works by forcing you to make more insulin) so you are just cranking up the available insulin ready to deal with the food you are about to eat vs the food hitting your body and glic effects trailing behind a bit.
Can help minimise spikes making it easier for your body to bring numbers back down to normal levels.
I wouldn't say you were doing it wrong, just not as optimised as you could have been 🙂

I get mine in my blister pack and never knew this, my pack is set for other meds that I take after food so thank you for raising this issue!

Yep, my prescription says "Take with a meal" I assume it means at the same time as eating
which I have always done, I might check that out next time I hear from my DN or DR.

glic takes about 20-30 mins to get going properly (works by forcing you to make more insulin) so you are just cranking up the available insulin ready to deal with the food you are about to eat vs the food hitting your body and glic effects trailing behind a bit.
Can help minimise spikes making it easier for your body to bring numbers back down to normal levels.
I wouldn't say you were doing it wrong, just not as optimised as you could have been 🙂
Thank you for this explantation.
When I first started taking Gliclazide I was told to take it after food By my DN. Then at my next check up DN told me it was better taking it 20-3o minutes before food as it worked better.

I get mine in my blister pack and never knew this, my pack is set for other meds that I take after food so thank you for raising this issue!
It’s confusing and I wonder if it is DN opinion or why would the information sheet with Gliclazide still say take with meals?

Yep, my prescription says "Take with a meal" I assume it means at the same time as eating
which I have always done, I might check that out next time I hear from my DN or DR.
That’s what I thought and my concern As taking it as DN advised as it was better in controlling my diabetes.

Thank you all for your comments. Thank you gll for your explanation. I have had good relationship with my DNurses throughout the years but sadly since Covid it seems I have a new DN / GP each annual check or concern. It may be something in their experience have found works better for some diabetics. I just wondered if others have found this or should I follow the guidelines on my prescription. As I said it has concerned me as I now not sure which is best ie before meals or with meals or if it doesn’t really matter ???

Thank you all for your comments. Thank you gll for your explanation. I have had good relationship with my DNurses throughout the years but sadly since Covid it seems I have a new DN / GP each annual check or concern. It may be something in their experience have found works better for some diabetics. I just wondered if others have found this or should I follow the guidelines on my prescription. As I said it has concerned me as I now not sure which is best ie before meals or with meals or if it doesn’t really matter ???
There does seem to be varying opinions out there, one suggestion of taking with your food is it helps to avoid stomach upset however published research suggests 'When taken 30 minutes before breakfast, gliclazide produced a peak of IRI 30 minutes after the meal; taken immediately before or after, it took twice to three times as long to produce an IRI peak. Postprandial hyperglycemia remained pronounced for a relatively long time when the drug was taken immediately before or after the meal. Based upon the experimental evidence we propose the tentative recommendation that gliclazide is best taken 30 minutes before breakfast '
Not sure what IRI is.
I suppose there is a small risk of low blood glucose if for some reason you don't eat your meal 30mins after taking the medication.

Thank you so much for that research information. I have had no issue with taking Gliclazide 20-30 minutes before meals and no stomach upsets. Looked up NHS website and basically they said the same. I hope anyone who is prescribed Gliclazide by GP or DN takes a few minutes to explain this. I will continue as I have been now I am more informed.
Thank you again. So glad to be a member of this forum and how we can support each other on our diabetic journey in life which helps make diabetes in our life much easier to cope with.

Hi, I was put on Gliclazide twice a day on the 22nd of January and yes I was told half an hour before eating.

Since then I've had six migraines so I'm wondering if anyone else had had this side effect from Gliclazide. My nurse was on holiday last week, so I'll be chatting to her next week about it.

Hi, I was put on Gliclazide twice a day on the 22nd of January and yes I was told half an hour before eating.

Since then I've had six migraines so I'm wondering if anyone else had had this side effect from Gliclazide. My nurse was on holiday last week, so I'll be chatting to her next week about it.
I have had but mine were also the result of hypos, along with the headache.

I hope anyone who is prescribed Gliclazide by GP or DN takes a few minutes to explain this. I will continue as I have been now I am more informed.
Thank you again. So glad to be a member of this forum and how we can support each other on our diabetic journey in life which helps make diabetes in our life much easier to cope with.

Ah that’s lovely to hear @Scottie Lottie

Glad you find the forum to be a helpful source of support 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back