Glicazide and UTI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball12

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi, prescribed Glicazide 160mg per day to take as well as Metformin 2000mg per day. As my last Hba1c was 80 . I have a good diet so GP and I were mystified. Good news is it worked and daily sugars have been around the 5.6 to 6.2 mark. However I have had three UTI's and number four has just developed. I am fed up. Does anyone else have this problem? Help

No I have not. Has the GP done further investigations as someone I know who does not have Diabetes, has just discovered they had Kidney Stones by having a scan, because they were getting recurrent UTI's.

The bugs must be getting help from somewhere though - are you providing carbohydrates for them to feed on?
You might well be getting rid of the glucose from your blood by taking the Gliclazide, but it seems there are consequences to that which are unpleasant - I had cystitis once and that was rather memorable.

I do eat some carbs as I also suffer from IBS which rules out many vegetables and fruits. I eat a gluten free diet as it helps with IBS in my case. I am also lactose intolerant. Nightmare I know. Shall be speaking to GP tomorrow if I can. Thanks for your help

Gliclazide works by helping you excrete sugar via urine , I find if I don’t drink lots of water that I get uti’s, need to keep up at least 3l a day as like you have bowel disorders so have to limit other foods that I used to eat that helped me keep my carbohydrate intake down. Glad your following up with the dr.

Gliclazide works by helping you excrete sugar via urine , I find if I don’t drink lots of water that I get uti’s, need to keep up at least 3l a day as like you have bowel disorders so have to limit other foods that I used to eat that helped me keep my carbohydrate intake down. Glad your following up with the dr.
As I understand it, the "Flozins" stimulate the kidneys to remove glucose via your urine but Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin, so that the glucose han be used/stored as normal in the cells and with BG levels in single figures, it shouldn't be spilling into the urine, so I would be looking for an alternative cause as suggested by @grovesy

As I understand it, the "Flozins" stimulate the kidneys to remove glucose via your urine but Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin, so that the glucose han be used/stored as normal in the cells and with BG levels in single figures, it shouldn't be spilling into the urine, so I would be looking for an alternative cause as suggested by @grovesy
Is this meant for me or first poster? No alternative for me due to 8 other GI conditions that rule out almost all other medical conditions, been tried and failed and taken off insulin too because of complications

Is this meant for me or first poster? No alternative for me due to 8 other GI conditions that rule out almost all other medical conditions, been tried and failed and taken off insulin too because of complications
Partly for you as I felt your info about Gliclazide was inaccurate and perhaps you were mistaking the action of Gliclazide with the "Flozins" which do cause higher levels of glucose in urine .....

and part for the OP as regards investigating possible other causes of the UTIs being experienced.

Partly for you as I felt your info about Gliclazide was inaccurate and perhaps you were mistaking the action of Gliclazide with the "Flozins" which do cause higher levels of glucose in urine .....

and part for the OP as regards investigating possible other causes of the UTIs being experienced.
Ok the information I was giving was given by my DN so that’s what I am going on plus a friend has been told not to take it as she has very persistent uti’s and other kidney issues , no idea what a Flozin is as not come across the term before, only on glic and metformin modified release now and in diabetes unit theee weeks ago told to keep water intake up to reduce risk of uti’s and thrush.

If your DN has told you that this is how Gliclazide works, find a new nurse, as this information is wrong.

If your DN has told you that this is how Gliclazide works, find a new nurse, as this information is wrong.
Funny enough that’s why I have a complaint as she left me with no way to test sugars during blackouts while taking insulin.. But I do get thrush and uti’s if water level drops which is why slowly trying to try metformin again as not happy with uti situation.
Sorry to original poster if given wrong info but just looked online and does mention not suitable for kidney issues but doesn’t quote source and can’t spot on bnf app (found on Wikipedia so not sure of source)

Actually Gliclazide works by stimulating the pancreas to product more Insulin.

Actually Gliclazide works by stimulating the pancreas to product more Insulin.
Hi I explained further on what I was told by DN and that I am sorry if I was not given correct info but I do get more uti with gliclazide and today found info it can cause kidney issues so a friend also has been told the same and wasn’t allowed it as a result so there’s some sort of issue with gliclazide and kidney issues even if what I was told was not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back