Glaucoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munjeeta

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm sorry. Another self indeulgent post from me.

I went to an eye clinic today as a referral from my optician who was worried about a few haemorrhages at the back of my eye. Turns out I have no diabetic changes after all but possible glaucoma. Am having to go back to have a visual fields test in Feb to either confirm or rule it out. It's only a maybe at the mo but I'm so fed up. I'm getting nowhere with my bg levels, was so worried about this appointment because I thought I might have diabetic issues, now I'm petrigied for different reasons :(

The 'Thief of sight' is terrible if left to run, but if it's caught in time it's treatable effectively in a variety of ways. Either eye drops or surgery.

It's simply the part of the eye that ensures the correct pressure in the eyeball isn't working quite as well as you'd like, the pressure builds and you get some damage to the back of the eye. However, the damage can't be reversed.

Often you don't notice there is any loss, the peripheral field test will identify where there are any problems.

Many opticians do this plus a pressure test as part of a check up. The fact your consultant isn't rushing you in for a test next week is a good sign.

I've had glaucoma for many years in my left eye and have a little creeping in on my right. I see the consultant on 8th January - although this is a different story and could well end up with me in court against my PCT.

If you are diagnosed with glaucoma in one or both eyes you technically need to inform DVLA, I think that in one eye they shouldn't call you for any specific field tests, however, in both eyes they will.

This test is not a standard field test and they will tell you which optician to call to book your appointment for this test. It is to ensure you have 120 degree field of sight, you can have one eye, so long as you can see 120 degrees and read a number plate at the required distance you are visually fit to drive.

Good luck with the test, it's rarely caused by diabetes, if you get a positive diagnosis, the drops are easy to apply and work well, if you get an irritation, let them know there are loads they can try you on. Also if you have got glaucoma you should also advise your parents and also any brothers or sisters (over 40 I think) to have their eyes tested annually - they are exempt from paying the eye test fee as you have glaucoma. Your children when they are 40 will under the current rules also be entitled to free annual eye tests.

Thank you... That's such a helpful and informative post, Einstein, as always. I guess I will just wait and see what the visual field test uncovers in Feb... Fingers crossed.

I went to an eye clinic today as a referral from my optician who was worried about a few haemorrhages at the back of my eye. Turns out I have no diabetic changes after all but possible glaucoma. Am having to go back to have a visual fields test in Feb to either confirm or rule it out. It's only a maybe at the mo but I'm so fed up. I'm getting nowhere with my bg levels, was so worried about this appointment because I thought I might have diabetic issues, now I'm petrigied for different reasons :(

Cheer up, it seems that once detected, Glaucoma is straightforward to control and there is no need for blindness.
There is a an apparent weak association between diabetes and glaucoma but some researchers say that's just becuase diabetics have more regular eye checks.

heres' some reading ...
http://diabetes.boomja.com/Diabetes-and-Glaucoma-292.html

Thank you... That's such a helpful and informative post, Einstein, as always. I guess I will just wait and see what the visual field test uncovers in Feb... Fingers crossed.

You're welcome, as Peter commented, the connection isn't founded, only diabetics have a more thorough eye examination every 12 months, in addition to their annual eye test, so it's likely they will pick things up far earlier.

It's better to know as soon after a problem begins than to wait years before you discover one eye is pretty useless.

Enjoy your holidays, there is nothing you can do until you see the consultant.

If you wear contact lenses and find your eyes are dry, I'd suggest removing them and using (assuming you can) some drops to replace the moisture - doesn't affect glaucoma but makes your eyes more comfortable.

It is worrying, but at least things are being looked into. Hopefully there wont be any problems, but in the event there is, because it has been spotted early enough, it will be easier to treat.

I hope you don't let it worry you too much and you will be able to enjoy the holiday, and most of all don't worry about being self indulgent in sharing your worries here. We are all here to help and support each other.

Cheer up, it seems that once detected, Glaucoma is straightforward to control and there is no need for blindness.
There is a an apparent weak association between diabetes and glaucoma but some researchers say that's just becuase diabetics have more regular eye checks.

heres' some reading ...
http://diabetes.boomja.com/Diabetes-and-Glaucoma-292.html

Thank you. Yes, I read that there might be a link too. But as you and Einstein say, I guess diabetics just have more thorough checks of their eyes more regularly than other people.

You're welcome, as Peter commented, the connection isn't founded, only diabetics have a more thorough eye examination every 12 months, in addition to their annual eye test, so it's likely they will pick things up far earlier.

It's better to know as soon after a problem begins than to wait years before you discover one eye is pretty useless.

Enjoy your holidays, there is nothing you can do until you see the consultant.

If you wear contact lenses and find your eyes are dry, I'd suggest removing them and using (assuming you can) some drops to replace the moisture - doesn't affect glaucoma but makes your eyes more comfortable.

Thanks again, Einstein. I do wear lenses and I do often find they dry out. Maybe I'll give my eyes a rest from them for a while over the festive period.

It is worrying, but at least things are being looked into. Hopefully there wont be any problems, but in the event there is, because it has been spotted early enough, it will be easier to treat.

I hope you don't let it worry you too much and you will be able to enjoy the holiday, and most of all don't worry about being self indulgent in sharing your worries here. We are all here to help and support each other.

Yes... But I do feel like I whinge an awful lot in comparison to lots of people 😛 I feel a new year's resolution coming on... I've woken up feeling a lot more positive this morning. Yesterday it all felt a bit like too much, but today I'm actually just grateful that, if it is glaucoma, it's been picked up early. Happy holidays all!

Yes... But I do feel like I whinge an awful lot in comparison to lots of people 😛 I feel a new year's resolution coming on... I've woken up feeling a lot more positive this morning. Yesterday it all felt a bit like too much, but today I'm actually just grateful that, if it is glaucoma, it's been picked up early. Happy holidays all![/QUOTE]

A whinge is actually quite healthy as it helps to relieve stress.We all have our worries and whinges, so whinge away. I'm glad you are feeling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back