Glargine Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBZ5416

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was looking to switch from Semglee as it's only available in disposable pens. But a quick Google suggests that the only other glargine available in a cartridge is Lilly's Abasaglar. Sanofi's site suggests that their Lantus & Toujeo are also only available in disposable pens. So a couple of questions:

Have I missed something or another product name?

Are Lilly's pens reliable? I seem to recall a few posts suggesting otherwise.

I have had no issues with my ablasaglar

I used to use Lantus cartridges, with a Junior Star pen which does half units. I switched to Levemir a couple of years ago, but I think the Junior star is still available, according to @Inka 's link it is, anyway.

I asked my DSN about reusable pens a few months back.
Got one for fiasp but she said no reusable pen was available for abasaglar.

I have been using reusable pens and cartridges for Lantus for about 20 years. As I now have a pump, this is only a backup and have not renewed my pen for over 10 years. However, the cartridges are definitely available with no trouble (I renewed my backup insulin last week).

Lantus is more expensuve than abasaglar and i have been told locally they don't prescibe it here for that reason

im going to bring up the savvio pens next time i speak to her :D

Thing is, the re-usable pens are more expensive when considering them as a 'one off' - but when I used Lantus (which I did for a number of years, at least 5) I never, ever needed a replacement pen - because they are made a lot better than the cheap and nasty disposables.

I was looking to switch from Semglee as it's only available in disposable pens. But a quick Google suggests that the only other glargine available in a cartridge is Lilly's Abasaglar. Sanofi's site suggests that their Lantus & Toujeo are also only available in disposable pens. So a couple of questions:

Have I missed something or another product name?

Are Lilly's pens reliable? I seem to recall a few posts suggesting otherwise.
Hi
If you want to know about any medicine or device available in UK then Google “ emc medicines” then select electronic medicines compendium.
From Calpol to amoxicillin, metformin sr to hydrocortisone cream it is all there : fill your boots

Just in case this helps anyone else, I made the switch from Semglee to Abasaglar with a Savvio pen a couple of days ago. Obviously early days but no issues so far, although annoyingly despite asking for a backup pen I was only prescribed one. But I do have one remaining Semglee pen that's good until this time next year to fall back on if necessary. I'll pursue that at a later date.

I used an Allstar Pro pen when I was on Lantus. They still seem to be a
on sale
Allstar Pro
Not half unit though

Although probably not relevant, I find the Novo Nordisk reuseable pens (NovoPen 6 (one unit) and NovoPen Echo Plus (half-unit)) extremely well engineered. The main body is made of metal and at the end they have a mechanism which tells you how long since you last injected with that pen and how many units you injected - useful if you use both rapid and long-lasting insulins. They also tell my mobile phone this information, if I press the end on my smartphone's NFC sensor area (Abbott FreeStyle Libre 2 LibreLink app software).
Only relevant for Novo Nordisk insulins, such as Levemir and NovoRapid...

I agree, the NovoPens are really, really nice bits of kit. Very well designed and manufactured. I recently had to go back to disposables for my Fiasp as they couldn't get the penfill cartridges for my Echo and I can't believe how cheap and horrid they are and how much I miss my Novo Pen and it's last dose memory feature. Thankfully I have cartridges for it now but having to use up the disposable pens first and I will be glad to see the back of them, not least because they are in whole units. Still, better than nothing!

Lantus solostar pens seem to be in short supply from the end of January :(

Lantus solostar pens seem to be in short supply from the end of January :(
Oh haven’t heard of that shortage yet! I didn’t have any problems in early January getting my last prescription but have ordered a box yesterday which id plan to pick up this week. Will see if I get any

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back