Giving blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In the discussion on medical ID, copepod said:

The rules have changed recently, so many people with tablet controlled diabetes can now give blood, but those who use insulin still can't give blood.

Why is it that diabetics who take insulin cannot give blood? As far as I know, diabetes cannot be passed on through blood, you cannot 'catch' diabetes. I would really like to give blood and it seems silly that I cannot.

Things are improving all the time and I think eventually diabetics on insulin will be able to give blood. The blood as a whole can be screend for so many things these days it is only a matter of time before there are more people who are able to give blood.

As I understand it the rule is more about concerns that taking blood could affect diabetic control/health rather than thinking that there is a problem with the blood as such. Whilst this may be true in some cases it does seem a shame that it is a blanket rule but I understand the thinking behind it as blood services can't be expected to assess everyone's health individually.

I agree - I think it is do with the negative affect it can have on blood sugar levels, although they say you can't donate they don't actually give the reason why - and like you I am naturally inquisitive and want to know why - I like the rhyme and reason!!...

I was a blood donor for many years and was very disappointed when I found out I could no longer 'do my bit'. Having said that, every time I went to give blood I had to go through a great long checklist of things that would have prevented me (ever been to Africa - stuff like that), and I was always amazed that there was anyone left who was 'safe'!

The recent case about the contaminated blood being given to haemophiliacs in the '70s and '80s highlights just how strict they ought to be. I'm just worried that, like Tony Hancock, there might no longer be a bottle of 'my' blood should I ever need it!🙂

Although they say it's because of the effect on blood sugar levels, what actually is the effect? would you be more prone to hypo's due to having less blood volume?

This is from the Diabetes UK website:

If your diabetes is treated with insulin, then you will not be able to give blood. This restriction is because the National Blood Service is concerned about the health of the blood donors, and arises from fears that giving blood may affect a person’s blood glucose control, or aggravate any undiagnosed diabetes related conditions such as neuropathy or heart disease.

I know that some people with blood pressure problems are unable to donate so my guess would be that it is the change in volume, and therefore blood pressure is where the concern is. I guess the potential impact would be less on someone well controlled than someone who isn't but I suppose they need to have one rule for all. I think, as with some much, there is no evidence to say it definately is safe (although of course nothing conreate to say it isn't) so they're erring on the side of caution...?

Having been present at a good many blood donor sesssions - around 12 where I gave blood, and more recently, I spent around 6 hours per week for about 10 weeks at blood donor sessions, assisting with a research project. A considerable number of donors feel faint and when they do, usually around the tea & biscuits table, by the way, it takes several members of staff to look after them - lay them down, lift feet above heart & head, erect screens for privacy, and 1 to stay with them until they are well enough to sit up, have a drink and biscuits and then leave. I reckon there could be way round the blanket ban on insulin users by saying they must have a blood glucose level about a certain figure, so that when the whole blood volume is reduced, the blood glucose levels are not reduced too low, as the body replaces fluid into the blood supply. Already, blood services will not take blood from a donor who has not eaten in the past few hours.
I also discussed the issue with a medical advisor, who mentioned that people in wheelchairs are not allowed to give blood, basically while they could give blood from a sitting position, if they do faint, it's too difficult to get feet above heart and head.
The way I see it, while I can no longer give blood or plasma, I can encourage friends and relatives to consider giving blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back