give this a go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely amazing, I was trying to sort it out and like you say, Bev, it makes your head hurt. I'm quite glad I have to sort it out for myself and not try to sort out a child, I think that would be harder than ever. Well done parents.

Well my guess was 4u - not too far off till she threw in the PE and growth spurt info! But then I've been pumping for 6 years and carb counting for over 26 years...maybe I had an unfair advantage lol

I don't know how my parents (well, my mum) coped with me as a kid, as well as she could/was advised at the time which was not very well I think - no overnight blood tests, very few blood tests generally (with BM stix carefully cut in half lengthways), no HbA1c within target range for about 20 years after diagnosis. Oh and HbA1c was taken every 3 months at clinic appointments, but the result was never available until the next clinic appt 3 months later! Hopeless!

Almost exactly the sums I was trying to work out this morning! K has PE and Drama this afternoon(will make BS lower), she is having a growth spurt (makes BS higher - we need to increase Levemir really) , she may have a cold coming on (higher), the weather here is dreadful today (lower), she is having pasta salad for lunch (cold pasta higher, full fat cheese, lower), she has a clinic appointment tomorrow which she is worrying about (higher), she's an 11 year old girl with unpredictable hormones (higher/lower - I duuno) 😱 Sometimes it just feels like 'think of a number'

I cant imagine keeping all that information in your head for THREE children though - my brain would just give up! (Trouble is you cant).

Thanks for sharing that Bev (and I didnt even try to guess the dose - I dont understand the American BS figures 😱)

Last edited:
Almost exactly the sums I was trying to work out this morning! K has PE and Drama this afternoon(lower), she is having a growth spurt (higher - we need to increase Levemir really) , she may have a cold coming on (higher), the weather here is dreadful today (lower), she is having pasta salad for lunch (cold pasta higher, full fat cheese, lower), she has a clinic appointment tomorrow which she is worrying about (higher), she's an 11 year old girl with unpredictable hormones (higher/lower - I duuno) 😱 Sometimes it just feels like 'think of a number'

I cant imagine keeping all that information in your head for THREE children though - my brain would just give up! (Trouble is you cant).

Thanks for sharing that Bev (and I didnt even try to guess the dose - I dont understand the American BS figures

Carolyn, you have failed the test. You forgot to add in to the equation how many times K blinks and how many times a day she looks at the sky and whether or not she is happy or sad etc etc etc..............😱😉🙂Bev

I copied this link onto my facebook to try and raise awareness of what it's really like...and strangely enough, no-one has said anything about it!

until I read that, i had forgotten all the night time blood tests that used to get done to me while I was asleep as a kid. I'm now thinking it's easier to have diabetes than it is to have a kid with diabetes. god knows how my parents coped!

thanks for sharing bev 🙂

I copied this link onto my facebook to try and raise awareness of what it's really like...and strangely enough, no-one has said anything about it!

until I read that, i had forgotten all the night time blood tests that used to get done to me while I was asleep as a kid. I'm now thinking it's easier to have diabetes than it is to have a kid with diabetes. god knows how my parents coped!

thanks for sharing bev 🙂

Katie, I think both diabetics and the parents of a diabetic have equal amounts of stress - but they just stress about things in a different way I suppose - I think diabetes is awful for anyone - whether your the parent or the person with it - it stinks.😱

I think the reason you have had no replies on FB is that people are stunned when they realise just how much work goes into just one meal or one afternoon or one day and because they lack the knowledge they simply are lost for words - but it will do people good to see how damned hard diabetes is and how all you lovely people strive for those perfect levels and then something 'innocent' comes along to mess up your day. How dare the weather change, or how dare you feel excited and send your levels up! 🙂Bev

See we should be rocket sciencetists:D

I did once work it out as a mathimatical equation, showed it to my work collegues who all were shocked that is what I worked out everytime I ate something...

Best part though it's we can do this equation in our head quicker than with a calculator😎

Carolyn, you have failed the test. You forgot to add in to the equation how many times K blinks and how many times a day she looks at the sky and whether or not she is happy or sad etc etc etc..............Bev

O darn it - knew I was going wrong somewhere😛

I have just been on FB and some of the other FB Mums have posted it but so far only replies from other PODK's but give it time - lots of people only check FB Lunch time or evenings 🙂

That blog post is utter brilliance. I too have posted it on Facebook.

And I won't go into details, but I totally failed on the dose guess 😱

I think the reason you have had no replies on FB is that people are stunned when they realise just how much work goes into just one meal or one afternoon or one day and because they lack the knowledge they simply are lost for words - but it will do people good to see how damned hard diabetes is and how all you lovely people strive for those perfect levels and then something 'innocent' comes along to mess up your day. How dare the weather change, or how dare you feel excited and send your levels up! 🙂Bev

that is exactly what I thought Bev! there is just nothing to say....it even left me exhausted just reading it!

and my reason for saying I think it's harder to have a kid with diabetes than to have it yourself is just purely my own thinking....I'm one of those people who worry about everyone and anyone else other than myself lol so I'd probably be a nightmare if my kid had it! i deal with my own stuff much easier....usually by just not thinking about it! lol

That blog post is utter brilliance. I too have posted it on Facebook.

And I won't go into details, but I totally failed on the dose guess 😱

you may have failed on that kids dose guess, but I bet you do exactly the same to work yours out, just your adjustments and figures would be different....but that's the point - we all react to things differently and need different adjustments, there is no one size fits all answer or way to treat diabetes. it is all trial and error.

we often give ourselves a hard time on here, but maybe it's time we started being proud of what we do, day in, day out.

i mean, personally, i think we should all be given OBE's!!! lol

we often give ourselves a hard time on here, but maybe it's time we started being proud of what we do, day in, day out.

Totally agree! We're all troopers!

I think that parent and carers do have it slightly harder than us when they doing there calculating whizz...

When I'm doing my calculations I have all the facts, I know that some of it is algerbra, i.e exercise, whether we feel stressed etc or even perhaps coming down with a cold...

For parents and carers it's even more difficult to put any form of figure to these parts of the equation because who much running around at play time did little Johny do?????

Hiya...sorry to be dim, but how can I share this on facebook?... do I just copy & paste the email address in a comment?... really interesting item! 🙂

Thanks for posting that Bev. It really spells out what it is like to be a parent of a child with D.

Sometimes an outsider like me (I mean as a non insulin T2 and not a parent) thinks that it is easier than it looks. I admire all parents of D children who I realise after reading that blog don't have such an easy ride as you think.

@Twitchy

Copy the web address in Bev's post them write something on your wall and paste the address in. FB will magically do the rest 🙂

gotta love facebook!! 🙂

Hmmm... Easier to follow than twitter but still don't get it. Heheh!

Just got round to reading the blog and by 'eck, that's one he'll of a head melter. Funny how the same scenario comes almost natural now but reading it and doing it are totally different. Even though I took the reigns quite early it does make you appreciate what my mam and dad did in the early days. Perhaps the best teachers I've ever had.

DON'T tell 'em I said that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back