Gilclazide meds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I have just started gilclazide medication anyone else taking these
Quite a few people are prescribed it when blood glucose remains high and when something like metformin is not sufficient or is not tolerated well and changes to dietary regime is not taken on board and people are still eating more carbs than their body can tolerate.
It is a medication than encourages the pancreas to produce more insulin if it is able.

Is anyone on gilclazide tabs I am just about to start taking them and would like some advice as I am very anxious about taking them

It’s normal to Bea bit anxious about new medication @Pritch-s1 As said, you’re on a moderate dose and although hypos area possibility, some people can be on Gliclazide and never have one. It’s important users know they’re possible, but it doesn’t mean they’re common, if you get what I mean, so it’s just something you should be aware of, not an inevitability. Here are links to your other threads so you can see all the information about Gliclazide together:

It’s normal to Bea bit anxious about new medication @Pritch-s1 As said, you’re on a moderate dose and although hypos area possibility, some people can be on Gliclazide and never have one. It’s important users know they’re possible, but it doesn’t mean they’re common, if you get what I mean, so it’s just something you should be aware of, not an inevitability. Here are links to your other threads so you can see all the information about Gliclazide together:

Thankyou, am I right in I have to check my levels before driving

Yes, you should check your blood glucose before driving. This is to make sure your blood sugar is at a safe level.

Welcome to the forum @Pritch-s1

I’ve merged a couple of your threads to keep the replies together.

It is quite natural to be a little uncertain and nervous when starting a new medication. Gliclazide can cause hypos, but they don’t have to be common, or nasty ones. Plus there is a lot you can do to reduce your risk of them - such as keeping an eye on your carbohydrate intake and maintaining a relatively consistent amount each day. It is also helpful to avoid missing or delaying meals.

Hopefully you will have few, if any, low glucose events. It can be good to carry a blood glucose meter with you wherever you go, and to have some fast acting glucose with you (such as glucose tablets), just in case.

Also bear in mind that if your body has been used to running higher glucose levels for a while, you may experience hypo symptoms (eg trembling, anxiety, weakness, severe hunger, tingling lips) when your glucose levels are in a healthy range. These false hypos can feel weird, and you might want to take a small amount of fast carbs 5-10g to relieve them, but they should disappear over a few weeks as your internal ‘glucose thermostat’ resets and your body becomes more used to on-target BG levels.

Continual @Pritch-s1 Its to make sure you’re safe to drive. Gliclazide can cause hypos so you test to make sure you’re ok. It’s a sensible precaution.

Hello @Pritch-s1.

First off, 24.7 is not a normal reading. It is much higher than it should be under any circumstances. It could be that there was something on your finger that that got into the blood spot and this gave a bad result. So whenever you get a high reading then you should wash your hands and try again to see if it is still high. If it is still high then that is the time to put your thinking cap on and decide what to do.

I have taken gliclazide in the past and it was very effective in reducing my blood glucose levels but if my experience is anything to go by you will not see any effect for a few days. Despite all the warnings I never got anywhere near hypo levels when on gliclazide.

My suggestion is that you take it as prescribed by your GP and see what happens.

Just did a test it was 24.7 is this a normal reading.

No, it’s a very high reading. As suggested, if you get a reading like that, it’s always worth double-checking that it’s correct by washing your hands then re-testing.

If your blood sugar is 24.7 then I can see why you were prescribed the Gliclazide. Hopefully that will help bring your blood sugar down closer to normal.

I re checked now down to 18 still high but at least it’s coming down

Hope your levels continue to gradually reduce gently and smoothly @Pritch-s1

Keep yourself well hydrated - once levels get up over 10 the kidneys can try to get rid of excess glucose by making you pee more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back