Gila Monster Venom, Gut Hormones, and Diabetes: The Winding Path to Drug Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Every day, pharmacists dispense prescription medications for type 2 diabetes and counsel patients on the proper use of these medications, but pharmacists are rarely privy to the details of drug development and the people behind these therapies. One such innovator is Dr. Daniel J. Drucker, MD. Drucker’s work has led to the development of 3 novel classes of antidiabetic agents, including DPP4 inhibitors, GLP-1 agonists, and GLP-2 agonists.

In an award acceptance speech at the American Diabetes Association meeting in 2014, Drucker described the fascinating path that led to his drug discovery career, which is among the most productive translational research careers in history.

Drucker’s research path began in 1984 when Drucker was assigned to work with Joel Habener, researching the hormone glucagon. At the time, thyroid hormone research was thought to be a more promising avenue of research than gut hormone research. Drucker stated, “I worried that I had lost my chance to work on exciting research,” but Drucker soon recovered from the disappointment and began work in earnest.

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/G...d-Diabetes-The-Winding-Path-to-Drug-Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back