GI Bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
At ?2.00 a loaf for a low GI bread at my bakery could i buy the mix from anywhere and make my own even if it means buying a bread maker ?

Any wholemeal bread has a lower GI, so you could buy strong wholemeal flour.

Next time you go shopping have a look at the bread, thee is a variety of whole meal and whole grain bread that are lower GI and they taste better too.

If you look in the baking section you will see a whole variety of flour and stuff for making bread and cakes.

Now there is such a wide variety of produce on offer, it is fun to experiment and if you make your own cakes you can still have a treat and know what's in it!

Hi Paul

I make my own bread using a Panasonic SD255 which I've found excellent and well worth the cost. It comes with a good range of recipes including ones for French bread that have no added sugar plus gives details for using olive oil rather than butter as the fat. It copes with rye flour too plus allows me to add seeds through a drop down tray which also lowers the GI

Strong white, brown, wholemeal flour is readily available in supermarkets and the larger ones have more varieties too. I've had to go to my local health food shop for rye flour though although I understand that larger branches of Waitrose stock it. You can also just add water to ready prepared bread mixes and get a result in two - three hours

The downside - resisting the temptation to eat too much of the newly baked, lovely smelling stuff!

Vanessa

How low is "low"? 85?

Are they lower than Burgen S&L?

Mind you, I appreciate home made (with or without a machine) has other advantages.

Still, if your meter says you have got away with it then fair enough.

Burgen Soya and Linseed. Roughly half the GI of many wholemeal breads , 11.9g carb per slice.

I read something that spelt? bread is low gi. Just been to Morrisons and bought 3 loaves, hope it tastes nice 😉

My companion just bought herself spelt bread from the Polish section in Morrisons. 99p per loaf. A bit 'doughy' but great if toasted.
She has been making several types of bread and reckons she couldn't make it for anything like the cost.
(diagnosed T2 this week - all 51kg of her. Late effect of pancreatitis five years ago)

My companion just bought herself spelt bread from the Polish section in Morrisons. 99p per loaf. A bit 'doughy' but great if toasted.
She has been making several types of bread and reckons she couldn't make it for anything like the cost.
(diagnosed T2 this week - all 51kg of her. Late effect of pancreatitis five years ago)

Sorry to hear about your companion. at least she has you to help her through it!

Hi Kojack - sorry to hear about your companion too - but at least you can help and point her in the right direction.

Hi Kojack - sorry to hear about your companion too - but at least you can help and point her in the right direction.

Thanks folks.

She has given me much support as the medics had her on a very rigid diet for some time. We share the same sort of food with some exceptions such as potatoes and pasta which don't seem to metabolise for her to give her the energy.
Best long term food seems to be good thick porridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back