getting use to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan74uk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi all i posted last week as i mentioned before i was newly diagnised with ty2 .today after a big push i finally got the doctors readings for my diagnoses and the bloods showed 113 .now in feb they were 47 and doctor made no mention of diabetes (as i have already posted) but today having seen his notes it says in feb to recheck .am i being a bit naieve to think that should have been three months after february and not september when i started to amount symptoms.i dont feel happy suffering with anxiety i cud have maybe have prevented this with a bit of warning and my god how do i get it down from this huge level quickly because im not comfortable with being that muchover safe amounts

im now on gliclazide and have been to gym three days on trot.eating is hard work as all books seem to contradict themselves especially on fruit and their sugars.its a minefield isnt it

That's an appalling failure on the part of your GP, if I may say so. 113 is seriously high but having said that, many on here have started from 3 figures but through a mix of diet, exercise, weight loss and medication have come down to normal or near normal numbers. We're talking weeks but it can be done if you have the will to try.

Interesting that you've been prescribed Gliclazide. I was diagnosed with my HbA1c at 114 but only prescribed Metformin. Once again no consistency across the NHS, it seems.

how do i get it down from this huge level quickly
General advice is to NOT bring it down quickly. I've no idea if that's been mentioned on your other thread, one of the reasons creating multiple threads around the same subject is a bad idea.

im now on gliclazide and have been to gym three days on trot.eating is hard work as all books seem to contradict themselves especially on fruit and their sugars.its a minefield isnt it
Some fruits are very high in carbohydrate particularly bananas, tropical fruits, grapes and dried fruit but the lowest carb fruits are berries, strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries though blueberries are a bit higher with things like apples, pears, oranges, melon somewhere in between.
Since you are on gliclazide you should have been prescribed a blood glucose monitor and strips so you could make good use of that to test what meals you can tolerate by testing before you eat and after 2 hours with the aim of no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase.
As the medication you have been prescribes encourages the pancreas to produce more insulin if it is able you need to be cautious about reducing your carbs too much all in one go and maybe do it gradually whilst keeping an eye on your blood glucose level with your monitor.

That's an appalling failure on the part of your GP, if I may say so. 113 is seriously high but having said that, many on here have started from 3 figures but through a mix of diet, exercise, weight loss and medication have come down to normal or near normal numbers. We're talking weeks but it can be done if you have the will to try.

Interesting that you've been prescribed Gliclazide. I was diagnosed with my HbA1c at 114 but only prescribed Metformin. Once again no consistency across the NHS, it seems.
ive had 28 different docs in ten years so consistancy isnt their speciality at moment.dont blame the front line i blame those at the top that rather than admit their get it wrong they cover stuff up to protect themselves

Some fruits are very high in carbohydrate particularly bananas, tropical fruits, grapes and dried fruit but the lowest carb fruits are berries, strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries though blueberries are a bit higher with things like apples, pears, oranges, melon somewhere in between.
Since you are on gliclazide you should have been prescribed a blood glucose monitor and strips so you could make good use of that to test what meals you can tolerate by testing before you eat and after 2 hours with the aim of no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase.
As the medication you have been prescribes encourages the pancreas to produce more insulin if it is able you need to be cautious about reducing your carbs too much all in one go and maybe do it gradually whilst keeping an eye on your blood glucose level with your monitor.
ive had to chase the blood monitor for a week they didnt tell me about it or anythign tbh

haha just got my monitor out of the box and i cant even see it even with reading glasses on lol .not sure how im going to read this living alone
is their any guides onhere on how to use the monitor as i cannot read or see the instructions

General advice is to NOT bring it down quickly. I've no idea if that's been mentioned on your other thread, one of the reasons creating multiple threads around the same subject is a bad idea.
different subject

haha just got my monitor out of the box and i cant even see it even with reading glasses on lol .not sure how im going to read this living alone
What monitor have you got as some will connect via bluetooth to your computer though loading your sample onto the strip might be challenging if you are struggling to see.
Some people have found cheap reading glasses from the supermarket help or a magnifying glass help until your eyes settle down.

hi all i posted last week as i mentioned before i was newly diagnised with ty2 .today after a big push i finally got the doctors readings for my diagnoses and the bloods showed 113 .now in feb they were 47 and doctor made no mention of diabetes (as i have already posted) but today having seen his notes it says in feb to recheck .am i being a bit naieve to think that should have been three months after february and not september when i started to amount symptoms.i dont feel happy suffering with anxiety i cud have maybe have prevented this with a bit of warning and my god how do i get it down from this huge level quickly because im not comfortable with being that muchover safe amounts
Hi I know exactly what you mean, although I have yearly blood tests ( hypothyroidism) no one ever tested for diabetes until last August when I suddenly had a phone call to say my reading was 117 and I was diabetic
like you I think I could have prevented it if I’d had warnings
I’ve had almost no support, just a 3 monthly meeting with diabetic nurse who just checked my feet and told me there was no point in testing
initially I was on 2000 metformin a day and 10 depagliflozin after 3 months 1000 metformin as reading 67 now no metformin as readings for last 6 months 34 and 37
i follow a low carb diet, avoid anything labelled low fat as they’ve put added sugar in it ( I always read labels now and pick the one with the fewest carbs) never eat bread, pasta or fruit juice and try to walk everyday , I’m 70 with osteoarthritis so any other exercise is difficult

Hi I know exactly what you mean, although I have yearly blood tests ( hypothyroidism) no one ever tested for diabetes until last August when I suddenly had a phone call to say my reading was 117 and I was diabetic
like you I think I could have prevented it if I’d had warnings
I’ve had almost no support, just a 3 monthly meeting with diabetic nurse who just checked my feet and told me there was no point in testing
initially I was on 2000 metformin a day and 10 depagliflozin after 3 months 1000 metformin as reading 67 now no metformin as readings for last 6 months 34 and 37
i follow a low carb diet, avoid anything labelled low fat as they’ve put added sugar in it ( I always read labels now and pick the one with the fewest carbs) never eat bread, pasta or fruit juice and try to walk everyday , I’m 70 with osteoarthritis so any other exercise is difficult
sucks doesnt it im 49 and feel like the worlds about to cave in .doesnt help with so much contradictory advice and just tried my first blood monotir test and couldnt draw enough blood.holes all over me ha

sucks doesnt it im 49 and feel like the worlds about to cave in .doesnt help with so much contradictory advice and just tried my first blood monotir test and couldnt draw enough blood.holes all over me ha
You can set the depth that the meter penetrates your finger. Mine has settings of 1 to 6 and I have it set to 5 after a bit of trial and error.

You can set the depth that the meter penetrates your finger. Mine has settings of 1 to 6 and I have it set to 5 after a bit of trial and error.
thanks martin do u put the blood on the top of the strip or the bottom is their a correct way to put the stip in ie certain way up .very tough when i cant see shise lol

thanks martin do u put the blood on the top of the strip or the bottom is their a correct way to put the stip in ie certain way up .very tough when i cant see shise lol
You just touch the strip against the drop of blood and it is sucked into the reservoir at the end of the strip by capillary action.
The monitor I have, I prick my finger then put the strip into the monitor and it will flash to indicate apply the blood and I then touch the strip onto the drop of blood and it then gives the reading within a few seconds.

My Gluco RX Q meter test strips are black one side, white the other. They go in black side facing up. I always push them into the droplet of blood at a 45 degree angle.

Can I just check you went from 47 in February to 113 in September? That’s a huge jump in a short space of time for a type 2 unless there’s an obvious reason (serious carb heavy diet, illnesses or medications). Please have the discussion with you dr about this and ask if they have tested to check for type 1 and if not why not (and ask for the discussions to be documented in your notes).

It’s easy to assume type 2 but many adult type 1 are initially misdiagnosed. I’m not trying to scare you but if you feel unwell please don’t ignore it. Call 111 and tell them you are a newly diagnosed diabetic with very high hba1c and seek advice regarding DKA. It’s worth getting some ketone wee sticks from the chemist and if you see blood glucose rising or staying stubbornly high to check ketones and seek help if they are more than very minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back