Getting to grips with medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

paris1066

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've just been give metoformin for type 2 and am having side effects - I haven't seen the practice nurse and won't for another 2 weeks - given no advice on diet and am finding it hard to know what to do.

Hi Paris1066

I also take Metformin and had some 'side effects' when I first started. They started by gradually increasing the dose (as this apparently can often help prevent problems) and thought I was OK, but once up to the full amount I started having probelms.

How much metformin are you taking and did your GP gradually build up your dosage? Another thought, are you taking the tablets during / immediately after a meal - this is advisable as taking them on an empty stomach can increase any problems.

I went back to my GP and they switched me to a slow release form of metformin and I no longer have any problems. Apparently they have to start you off on the normal metformin as it is cheaper...and will then switch you if you have side effects!

I'd suggest making an appointment to see your GP as soon as possible - so they can change you to something more suitable - don't struggle on if they are causing you a problem.

Ali.

I've just been give metoformin for type 2 and am having side effects - I haven't seen the practice nurse and won't for another 2 weeks - given no advice on diet and am finding it hard to know what to do.

If the side effects involve going to the toilet then I had that too. :(

In my case, my GP did nothing - just shrugged his shoulders.

However, the situation resolved itself and went away on its own in due course and I have had no problems after that.

Hi Ali

Thanks for the advice I only started the medication yesterday 2 x 500 tablets 1 in morning and 1 in evening - I have taken them with food and it has still been awful

I will have to go back to the doctors after Easter and see what he can do

Hope it gets better before then

Hi Ali

Thanks for the advice I only started the medication yesterday 2 x 500 tablets 1 in morning and 1 in evening - I have taken them with food and it has still been awful

I will have to go back to the doctors after Easter and see what he can do

Hope it gets better before then

Hi Paris,
Sorry to hear you are having problems with the met.
There is a slow release form of the medication that's a lot kinder on your tummy. Ask for that.
As to diet/food. The standard advice is to cut down on the amount of carbohydrates you consume. Cutting out all junk food too if you eat any.
If you think of things logically, your pancreas is very stressed so you need to help it out by reducing the carbs you eat.
Best wishes
Sue

Hello Paris

Like others I had problems initially with metformin but they did settle down. However, on the very rare occasions I have a little too much refined carbohydrate then I still get problems after nearly 18 months.

i was put on Metformin in Jan and i was advised to start off on ahlf a tablet in the evening and build up to the 500mgs twice a day. I felt really rough generally at first so it took me about a month to get up to the full dose.

I had problems when I first went on metformin, but in time it eases. I now find if I don't eat properly I will have an upset tummy or be very windy with the metformin.

I also found if I have a pudding or something very sweet after my meal bcause my sugars have been a bit low and then take the metformin my tummy is out too. We are all different, so keep an eye on things and make a note of when you have the side effects. It may pay you to speak to your GP or diabetic care team if you are still worried.

I had no problems with Metformin for the best part of 8 years until just over 8 months ago when I started feeling really sick and queasy all day.

It has taken nearly 4 months for my GP to change me from Metformin to Metformin SR, and since changing, I have lost the constant queasy feeling and am having no other side effects.

Ikklemo

im getting put on it tomorrow so i shall watch this space and let you all know if i get any 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back