Getting stuck badly on this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Think ive had covid again. Very mildly like last time. For the first few days of it my basal actually came down. Then once i started recovering my basal came back up. Im going throughba similar thing now and realised ive had similar symptoms to last time. This time though my bassl has come up to 4 units day and 2.5 units night and struggling with 18's after lunch and dinner even after making changes to my bolus timings. Today i gave an extra unit at 3 pm as on 18 and ive only come down to 16.8 in an hour and a half. I now have no idea what to do really for tea time, have a low carb tea ? I dont feel ill although have had chills, aches and headaches and a little annoying cough.

Think ive had covid again. Very mildly like last time. For the first few days of it my basal actually came down. Then once i started recovering my basal came back up. Im going throughba similar thing now and realised ive had similar symptoms to last time. This time though my bassl has come up to 4 units day and 2.5 units night and struggling with 18's after lunch and dinner even after making changes to my bolus timings. Today i gave an extra unit at 3 pm as on 18 and ive only come down to 16.8 in an hour and a half. I now have no idea what to do really for tea time, have a low carb tea ? I dont feel ill although have had chills, aches and headaches and a little annoying cough.
Ah its shifted at last to 13.2. i cant tell wether im need to raise my bolus ratios or basal. I mean im told fix 1 problem at a time. Im making steps and not getting anywhere so lost now as to what to do. Does anyone manage to get back in range when poorly?

You may find you need more of a correction once you’re above 16 or so but at least it’s headed in the right direction. Have you checked your ketones? If you have higher ketones then they need more insulin to treat them. Just eat your regular dinner and do a correction as needed. Hopefully you’ll be on the mend soon and back your usual doses.

Today i gave an extra unit at 3 pm as on 18 and ive only come down to 16.8 in an hour and a half.

It will take more than 2hrs to see blood sugar start to come down when it’s high like that. I wouldn’t expect it to have moved much at 1 and 1/2hrs.

I dont feel ill although have had chills, aches and headaches and a little annoying cough.
Chills, aches, headaches and annoying cough are very clear symptoms of feeling I’ll.
Plus, of course, there is the good old anxiety from worrying what these “symptoms” could turn into which can raise BG.

Today i gave an extra unit at 3 pm as on 18 and ive only come down to 16.8 in an hour and a half.

It will take more than 2hrs to see blood sugar start to come down when it’s high like that. I wouldn’t expect it to have moved much at 1 and 1/2hrs.
Thanks, that happened . Anyways used Mysugr and teatime has worked a treat. .

Chills, aches, headaches and annoying cough are very clear symptoms of feeling I’ll.
Plus, of course, there is the good old anxiety from worrying what these “symptoms” could turn into which can raise BG.
Thanks Helli, yup. Think I just needed a bit of reassurance. Ive come down nicely with tea. Ketp it to 30g of carbs at the mo with this bug as im seeming to find i spike much more with higher carbs at the mo.

Think ve found out what’s gonna bang me such a high spike with lunch. A flipping satsuma to start with. Seems I process the sugar for that day n 15 minutes where as everything else is 20. Perhaps I should change my hypo treatment to orange juice then?

So omitted my satsuma for lunch and looks very much like i was right. So guess I need to eat my satsuma 5 minutes after starting meal.

So omitted my satsuma for lunch and looks very much like i was right. So guess I need to eat my satsuma 5 minutes after starting meal.
Isn’t that when it’s normal to eat a satsuma anyway, after the savoury items first? For any meal with seperate items I eat the protein and veg first, carbs last, to give the insulin more head start.

Isn’t that when it’s normal to eat a satsuma anyway, after the savoury items first? For any meal with seperate items I eat the protein and veg first, carbs last, to give the insulin more head start.
Haha yup! ‍♀️ It was a habit i got into because of that basal drop i have at lunch time that gives me problems when nurses say my basals right but i can drop 3mmol in an hour at then time. So at the moment im chacing my basal again as ive got the tail end of either covid or some virus its making me spike high as its not busy dealing with the drop caused by the basal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back