Getting really confused again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
So my spikes have dropped considerably and im now finding that im reducing my prebus timings by a minute a day for all meals. Got no idea whats causing it although i dont feel as stressed as i was and my basal levels are just about right now. Am i worrying about nothing again?

Any one? Still dropping my bolus timings, drpped 2 minutes today, lunch and breakfast. Expected a big spike but didnt. ‍♀️

Reducing bolus timing by one minute seems to be too precise when there are so many things that can affect our blood sugars such as stress.
If your spikes have reduced, that is a good thing and nothing to worry about.

What is exactly worrying you about it . Sd said above spikes reducing is a good thing.

What is exactly worrying you about it . Sd said above spikes reducing is a good thing.
Because if i didnt reduce my timings i will be falling the minute my meal insulin kicks in and that's just sitting down doing nothing. It doesnt take much for a fast drop to start for me once the insulin has kicked in. So it confuses me if i dont get a rise after eating. Breakfast ive gone down from 16 minutes to 10 minutes , and lunch and dinner are now bolusing straight away. Id have thought it would havr stopped reducing by now. I expect this in the sumner but not the winter, i usually go the otherway. I was expecting to be needing the lyumjev back which thankfully i clearly dont. It just seems odd that i was so resistant and needing the lyumjev and now im bolusing less than the guidelines. Ive still got a lot to learn and trying to fix things and nothng will stay relatively constantish. I know its not going to be the same everyday but surely it should be more "stable" so i can work stuff out.

Last edited:
Are you taking your BG into consideration wrt your prebolus time?
The lower my BG, the faster my bolus starts working.
If my BG is 8 or above, it could take 30 minutes to start whereas, if my BG is under 5, it will work immediately.
This is more obvious with Fiasp. I forget which fast acting insulin you use.

Some meals I can bolus just before eating @gillrogers Other meals I might plan to bolus 10 minutes before but get embroiled in cooking and forget so it might be 7 mins before or whatever. Precision isn’t necessary as long as you’re roughly in the right time area for you.

Reducing bolus timing by one minute seems to be too precise when there are so many things that can affect our blood sugars such as stress.
If your spikes have reduced, that is a good thing and nothing to worry about.
I know but its everyday and now down by another two minutes. Its just throwing me.

If my BG is 8 or above, it could take 30 minutes to start whereas, if my BG is under 5, it will work immediately.
Actualky i had thought that. My background is right now and it did start happening when i got my background right. Thinking about it i was raising my timings to get rid of the spikes and seemed to be going no where. Now its right that will explain why they are coming down then . Thankfully gradually.

Some meals I can bolus just before eating @gillrogers Other meals I might plan to bolus 10 minutes before but get embroiled in cooking and forget so it might be 7 mins before or whatever. Precision isn’t necessary as long as you’re roughly in the right time area for you.
I found a new friend in my village whos type 1. She wont bus until shes eating. She had an experience in a restraunt , bolused for her meal then a fire broke out! Thankfully disaster wascaverted by buckets of orange juice!

Im on humalog now.

It will also likey to to depend on the food you're eating. Some meals might act quckeir then others. Also sometimes our body's just decide to change thier mind well at least mine does.

I found a new friend in my village whos type 1. She wont bus until shes eating. She had an experience in a restraunt , bolused for her meal then a fire broke out! Thankfully disaster wascaverted by buckets of orange juice!
Oh yes I would not prebolus in s restaurant. As you never know when your food might come.

Last edited:
Also, I like to look at it to count the carbs.
Oh yes thats also another thing I do if that's not available. Because you don't know the portion sizes until it's fount of you.

I agree with her when eating out. Or at least, I won’t bolus until I have seen my plate in front of me because I don’t know how long it will take to cook or how big the portion is. I feel a spike on the occasions when I eat out won’t affect my overall management … or at least the risk if very low.
However, at home, I know what I will be eating so I am happy to pre bolus and, if there was a catastrophe, I have access to all sorts to avert the hypo.

I agree with her when eating out. Or at least, I won’t bolus until I have seen my plate in front of me because I don’t know how long it will take to cook or how big the portion is. I feel a spike on the occasions when I eat out won’t affect my overall management … or at least the risk if very low.
However, at home, I know what I will be eating so I am happy to pre bolus and, if there was a catastrophe, I have access to all sorts to avert the hypo.
Yes I wont bus until my food is in front of me. The only exception is just before dinner and im stuck at at 12 then ill do a half unit and use mysugr to guide me for my mealtime bolus. Did get stuck on 14 one day a Barbera gave me that tip. It worked a treat.

Yes I wont bus until my food is in front of me. The only exception is just before dinner and im stuck at at 12 then ill do a half unit and use mysugr to guide me for my mealtime bolus. Did get stuck on 14 one day a Barbera gave me that tip. It worked a treat.
Oh, I'll do corrections without food in front of me. But they are based on how much active fast acting insulin I have in my body (insulin on board/IOB). As a result, I will rarely be high when time for a meal

I prebolus when eating out too but I always ensure I have enough hypo treatment on me to top me up if my food is delayed or my levels start to drop quicker than expected. I think now that we have CGM we can see what is happening much easier and therefore it is not a risk. Yes occasionally I have had one JB if my meal was delayed slightly or perhaps a small piece of bread if there is some just to tide me over till the meal arrives. I invariably need a correction after eating out so I can factor the bread or JB in when I correct or if we are having dessert. I also do a correction ahead or going to the restaurant if I need one so that I am about 5 or 6 when we order food. Once my levels go high they simply refuse to come down so for me prebolusing is really important and I would rather have a JB or a bit of bread if necessary if my food is a bit late than be stacking insulin at bedtime because my levels are mid teens figures and won't come. if there was a fire in the restaurant I would simply eat enough JBs from my bag to cover the insulin I had injected. It is not like it is going to spoil my appetite for my meal because it is unlikely I am going to be served at all in that scenario. 🙄

IMG_1877.jpeg Its this happening if i dont adjust my prebolus up. Ive now dropped 10 minutes of my bolusing time in a week! ‍♀️And it only stopped because of my fear as my sensor went into error mode as i was dropping so fast it couldnt keep up, test stick confirmed it so i had a couple of glucos tabs as it takes me 20 minutes before they start absorbing, and its now holding now theyve kicked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back