getting me down

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmasamduke

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Getting me down this diabetes, had anther hypo 2day and hate having them they make me very anxious for the rest of the day checking nearly every hour making sure not goin low again, i have diet and exercise controlled now for just over a month now as doc took me off metformin cos my HbA1c has come down from an initial diagnosed 9.3 or 9.2 to 5.4 or 5.6 in nearly a year ov diabetes. Andrew

Hi Andrew, sorry to hear it's getting you down, it's difficult learning to live with something that keeps reminding you it's there. But you are doing really well with some terrific progress over the past year so do try and take heart from that🙂

When you had a hypo, did you take a reading? If you are now diet and exercise only you shouldn't be in any danger from feeling low, it's just that is will take some time for those low levels to become perfectly normal and your body won't react as badly.

You're doing great, but I appreciate it doesn't always feel that way.

wow what great levels and well done for comming off the meds ...regards hypos as northe says it maybe just you getting used to lower levels or... maybe the body adjusting to no metaformin ....maybe you are doing too well ! thats what they said to me when then reduced my metaformin !

Looks good!

As has been said, without an actual reading it's tricky. On diet and exercise only hypos aren't technically possible, but the thresholds that the body adjusts too indicating where a comfortable level is and then below that is uncomfortable takes a bit of getting used to.

But any hypo like symptom, where you feel you're loosing control is a worry and you're doing the right thing, taking regular readings and treading carefully.

Keep up the good work, to be off meds within one year is good going.

On diet and exercise only hypos aren't technically possible

Are you sure? My brother-in-law who has been diet/exercise controlled type 2 for 9 years gets them regularly, especially if he works late and doesn't eat as often as he should...

Karina :confused:

Are you sure? My brother-in-law who has been diet/exercise controlled type 2 for 9 years gets them regularly, especially if he works late and doesn't eat as often as he should...

Karina :confused:

Lack of fuel = reason for fire to go out. Presumption made was as it was diet and exercise control, both would be in good conditon. e.g. regular.

Also, where food is consumed and with impaired insulin production/insulin resistance there often isn't enough insulin to invoke a hypo.

Some drugs squeeze more insulin from the pancreas, insulin replaces or in the case of type two's generally tops up the shortfall. Hence too much insulin to the energy consumed, or exercise undertaken not being accounted for = hypo.

And the critical word in the sentence was 'technically' there are no certainties with diabetes 🙄

Were you able to test? If yes what was the reading? I wondered if you might be anaemic, or suffering from low blood pressure. I've had problems like that for years and some of the symptoms can be a bit like a hypo.

Lack of fuel = reason for fire to go out. Presumption made was as it was diet and exercise control, both would be in good conditon. e.g. regular.

Aha! Fair and valid point! 😱 Like I said, it seems to happen when he works late - usually by the time he gets home he's babbling on.. Normally you're lucky to get more than a sentence from him (he's not a talker) but at these times you can't get him to shut up!!

Incidentally, he says that his levels take hours to rise after eating and then just as long to go back down again. As a result, by the time he realises he's heading too low, it can take too long to reverse the process? :confused::confused:

Anyone else have this problem?

Karina

Hi all ty very much for your replies, can i just explain how and why i think i went hypwell woke much earlier than usual 7.15 tested 5.5 had brekie hour later, then went back 2 sleep far to early 4 me to be up, woke again 11.15 tested 6.8 thoght i would be ok 4 quite hile so went to garage get new tyres left bg machine in car was a burger van over road so decided 2 have sarnie just before eating it that shakey feeling came on and i knew i was low ate sarnie ten mins l8r shakink got worse so had 2 get machine outa car tested 3.7 so could i have been bit lower. thanks again 4 replies so hate goin hypo

hi andrew great you have came off the meds x and your levels are good, we all get down sometime or another and why would we not we have this condition that rules us from time to time , do you have any family you can talk to, talking can be a great therapy even if the person just sits and listens to you it can make a great diffirence xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back