Getting it off my chest!

curlyk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi all, I’ve been diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been taking my meds and modifying to a lower carb diet, I have seen a reduction in BG over this time.

I had a high hba1c with no other symptoms, went in to the doctors for bloods about possible perimenopause and came out with diabetes. But, I’m feeling anxious about any slight tingle in my body, This is totally out of character for me. I feel like I’ve lost trust in my ability to recognise something serious that’s going on. I’m sure it will get better with time but it’s really knocked my confidence in my own judgement.

I have a follow up on Friday with the diabetic nurse, so hopefully she’ll be able to explain a lot more and give me some more testing strips (I’ve bought my own, as the docs refused my repeat prescription…they told me to test five times a day, gave me 50 and said they should have lasted me until September…the maths isn’t matching!!)

I’m not sure of the purpose of the post really - I think to have a moan and to get it off my chest. It’s not all bad, my average blood sugar is now <7 and I no longer think I’m dying if it drops below 5 and I’ve managed to keep it relatively stable on my summer holiday abroad

Hi all, I’ve been diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been taking my meds and modifying to a lower carb diet, I have seen a reduction in BG over this time.

I had a high hba1c with no other symptoms, went in to the doctors for bloods about possible perimenopause and came out with diabetes. But, I’m feeling anxious about any slight tingle in my body, This is totally out of character for me. I feel like I’ve lost trust in my ability to recognise something serious that’s going on. I’m sure it will get better with time but it’s really knocked my confidence in my own judgement.

I have a follow up on Friday with the diabetic nurse, so hopefully she’ll be able to explain a lot more and give me some more testing strips (I’ve bought my own, as the docs refused my repeat prescription…they told me to test five times a day, gave me 50 and said they should have lasted me until September…the maths isn’t matching!!)

I’m not sure of the purpose of the post really - I think to have a moan and to get it off my chest. It’s not all bad, my average blood sugar is now <7 and I no longer think I’m dying if it drops below 5 and I’ve managed to keep it relatively stable on my summer holiday abroad
It partly depends on what medication you have been prescribed as if only on metformin then unless you are lucky GPs are unlikely to prescribe test strips so many people choose to self fund as it gives them control over their condition.
Some people experience issues with their nerves and eyes if blood glucose drops quickly as a result of mediation and dietary changes but that will usually pass as your body adjusts.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and letting me know about the test strips. I am fortune that I can self fund the extras and see what my body reacts to, so I can hopefully move towards needing less medication on the longer term. Good to know about the nerves and eyes too, I think I was just having a pity party before.

I think it's very natural to become hyperaware if your body when you're diagnosed, especially if it sort of comes out of the blue. Anything feels like nothing and everything at the same time, especially when some of the information out there can sound truly frightening. All I can say is - trust your body. You're monitoring things, not sitting there with a limited amount of strips and taking it upon yourself to ensure you're ok and within range, and you're learning as you go. It's incredibly stressful in the beginning, but you're getting the hang of things, it doesn't happen in a day sadly. So just keep going and moan if you need to - that's what this space is for too <3

Thank you for taking the time to reply and letting me know about the test strips. I am fortune that I can self fund the extras and see what my body reacts to, so I can hopefully move towards needing less medication on the longer term. Good to know about the nerves and eyes too, I think I was just having a pity party before.
I get a bit cross at how people are diagnosed and just left - sometimes with a prescription, but no reassurance, advice, nothing.
If you are an ordinary type 2 diabetic - like me - then there is every chance that by lowering your intake of carbs to the point that your blood glucose is normal after meals, then everything will move back towards normality in a few months. Some test strips and a meter should be a big help in the first months and from time to time thereafter, but once you sort out the things to avoid it should be pretty much plain sailing after that.
Even if there is something more interesting going on, requiring tablets or restricted eating or unrestricted exercise - taking the strain off the unable to cope metabolism can still result in improvement, given time, and it is all the greater achievement.

I visited the nurse today and she was incredibly helpful. We’re stopping gliclazide completely and continuing with metformin for the next three months then we can monitor and reassess.

We looked at the foods I was eating, and I’m eating fairly low carb in terms of meals - but was having to eat a lot of ‘unplanned’ carbs to stabilise my blood sugar and deal with hypos.

I felt she gave me a lot more information during this appointment, which was super. In fairness, it was mostly advice that I’d already been given from the kind souls on these forums, but it was good to have the conversation anyway.

Thank you all again for your support these last couple of weeks - it’s taken a lot of getting used to but the support here has been invaluable ❤️

Back