Getting into gardening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffyboyslim

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well I have bought a load of plastic plant pots

What flowers are easy care through the spring , summer , autumn , winter and come back ?

I assume daffodils for the spring but that's ending soon

Anybody able to give me a basic idiots guide to through the season flowers as a bit of a hobby ?

Thanks guys

Well I have bought a load of plastic plant pots

What flowers are easy care through the spring , summer , autumn , winter and come back ?

I assume daffodils for the spring but that's ending soon

Anybody able to give me a basic idiots guide to through the season flowers as a bit of a hobby ?

Thanks guys
Have a look in the charity shops for books on container gardening as it will give you some ideas as to what is suitable for different locations, sun, shade, partial sun before you splash out on buying plants. The right planting medium is important and drainage.
Don't forget whatever you plant will seem small at first but will quickly grow to fill the space.

Good for you @Taffyboyslim

There’s something really good for MH about gardening. Some GPs include local gardening support groups in their Social Prescribing.

Bulbs go in succession through the year eg snowdrops, then daffs, then tulips, then other things like crocosmia, dahlias, alliums…

But there are other plants which have a season of growing and flowering then dying back before coming again from the roots. The thing to look for on labels is ‘perennial’ which means “comes back year after year”

Have a look around you for a local gardening club or voluntary group? One of the best ways to start is to see what is growing well near you, because those are the plants that like the temperatures and conditions where you are. And local gardeners will have hints. tips to pass on 🙂

Primroses are beautiful in spring, come in a wide variety of colours and are relatively hardy to the UK 'four seasons in a day' spring weather.

Pansies are good at any time of the year and add a splash of colour in winter. Just make sure you have winter flowering ones for winter. Sounds obvious but some varieties are more hardy than others. Cyclamen are also good for winter.

Summer and autumn, you can go wild! I love verbena (little pom pom flowers). Geranium are also good in pots. Petunia are superb and come in amazing colours. Fresia also look good in pots. A little pot of lavender will smell delicious and will help ward off witches! Your summer plants should last through autumn, right up until the first frost hits.

Most garden centres will have seasonal plants as will the bigger stores. I've found B&Q and B&M are very good for plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back