Getting Diagnosed

Bebelinii

Hello Everyone.

Just looking for a bit of advice please.

First I'll give some background. I'm mid 40s, had gestational diabetes, I have 5 siblings type 2, one sibling and father type 1. I have other risk factors such as ethnicity.

Over the past 2 years or so I have been to my doctor repeatedly to say I don't feel right and i worry I'm diabetic. On testing it comes back 6.2, 6.3, 6.4, 6. 7.

This is after fasting since previous day. I don't eat or drink many sweet things and watch my carbs after having gestational diabetes previously.

My doctor keeps telling me my glucose levels are completely normal.

I have been feeling so tired, have recurring infection and up sometimes 4 times a night to the toilet. I just don't feel right.

Just looking for any advice please. Should I just take my doctors word for it or keep at them?

Was diagnosis not straight forward for anyone?

Thank you so much.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
What actual tests have been done? Just Blood Glucose, or something called an HbA1c, which normally has an answer of a much higher number (cos it's a different measurement) where anything over 48 is diabetic or below 42, you definitely aren't.

5ish, 6ish, 7ish for BG are all pretty normal non-diabetic 'fasting' results.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Bebelinii

With the family links to Diabetes, I can understand your concern. The spot glucose tests that you have recorded are within the normal range.

Did the GP do an HbA1c test. That would give an average of your glucose levels over the past three months. If you are still concerned it might be worth asking for that to be done.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Bebelinii Sorry you’re feeling under par. Those are normal blood sugar results, as your doctor said. Did you have an HbA1C blood test too?

My advice is to have one if you didn’t, and then make sure you explore other options for your poor health. Don’t assume you have diabetes and neglect to ask about other possible medical issues.

Bebelinii

Thank you everyone.

I have had both tests in the past but I don't know what the level was just that it was normal.

I do have an element of paranoia and worry over diabetes because I found being diabetic before very difficult and stressful. Due to this I have never stopped following a diabetic diet and lifestyle. My worry is if I am type 2 there isn't much more I could do to keep sugar levels down and I would have to take medication.

Thank you again for being so understanding and supportive.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Bebelinii Its natural to be worried and to wonder if you’ve missed something, but you’ve done the right thing and seen a doctor, had the necessary checks and they’re normal. Focus on that :) You don’t have diabetes at the moment (and might never get it) so worrying all the time is spoiling your enjoyment of your not-diabetic state.

Not everyone who has Gestational Diabetes goes on to develop Type 2 diabetes. Many people never do.

I’d try to focus on general health and well-being - ie eat well, exercise, maintain a healthy weight, look after yourself physically and mentally. Not to avoid diabetes, but just to be healthy :)

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I agree with @Inka - your results are normal @Bebelinii, and while your concerns are perfectly understandable given your family history and previous GD, you should be enjoying the fact that the changes you have made are keeping you out of the diabetic range.

It is sensible to keep an eye on things, and perhaps get checked annually, but try not to get too stressed about it in the meantime - you are doing great!

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If you have Gestational Diabetes these days, you get offered an annual HbA1c test thereafter, for the simple fact it's better to do that than treat the fallout when ladies haven't a clue and already have complication by the time they visit their GP - NICE Guidelines set this out. Hence, ask your GP to add you to that particular list, so the surgery contact you every 12 months to arrange a test - and save you the trouble!

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
If you have Gestational Diabetes these days, you get offered an annual HbA1c test thereafter, for the simple fact it's better to do that than treat the fallout when ladies haven't a clue and already have complication by the time they visit their GP - NICE Guidelines set this out. Hence, ask your GP to add you to that particular list, so the surgery contact you every 12 months to arrange a test - and save you the trouble!
That is what is supposed to happen we still have posters saying they have not had an further tests.