Getting diabetes meds/supplies on the move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timdr93

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone,

In the near future I will be trying to live in a mobile home so that I am able to travel around the UK for pleasure and for work. I plan to be on the road all year and will be moving around a lot. How would getting insulin/BM strips work if I am on the move away from my Regular GP etc. Of anyone has experience of this and how I could make it work that would be great.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum @Timdr93

You could ask if your GP was happy to send prescriptions pharmacies en route? And/or perhaps request a larger quantity for fewer repeats?

I suspect whether or not either are considered will be down to the indvidual GP / surgery protocols.

My youngest was able to get about 3 months’ worth of repeats as they are studying away.

I know @trophywench is a keen motorhome voyager.

Well I am that however, can't go abroad for more than 90/180 days at a time now anyway and if we go anywhere in the UK or Europe - I get whatever before we go so I don't run out - BUT! people who sell their house, take up residence on their narrowboat and 'continuously cruise' the canals and waterways stay with their former GP and order their repeat prescriptions via the NHS App and just have it sent to X or Y pharmacy in whatever place they are going to on Thursday - and obviously Google is your friend, 'pharmacies in eg Stratford on Avon', ring pharmacy ask if they are within easy walking distance of wherever they will be mooring the boat, and put that shop on the prescription order. Cruise to SuA, moor boat, walk to pharmacy ...... if you need to actually see a doctor you can register with a handy surgery as a temporary resident. No idea how you get on with annual checks we all need on things though. I think you need to have more than a quick chat about this sort of thing with your medical 'team' rather than find out it would have been far easier now if you'd done something pretty easy, before you changed your residence.

Incidentally 'a Mobile Home' is actually a large residential unit permanently sited. Crane it onto and off the low loader and attach artic cab unit to trailer, to move it - so I don't think you mean one of those!

People do certainly live full time in either caravans or motorhomes and we know a few who live in their moho and some run thriving businesses from them. It wouldn't suit me - but I don't knock it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back