Getting a tattoo

PatchGFC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm type 2 and looking at getting a tattoo for my 40th but not sure if i can or is safe to do so. Has anyone got any advice on this.

Thanks

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As long as your blood sugars are under control and the tattooist takes all precautions hygiene then there's no problem.

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
@Stitch147 can probably help, she has got loads of tattoos and I don't think has ever had a problem with them

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

Pine Marten

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've got four but my levels aren't that high either. @Stitch147 is definitely the person to ask, if she's around...

Thing to make sure is that the tattoo parlour is scrupulously clean. I'm not sure how many are open at the moment, though.

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
Yep, I have a couple of tattoos (approx 40).
Best tips.
Test blood before, during and after.
Make sure you have a snack with you just in case.
Make sure your tattooist knows that you are diabetic.
Make sure tattoo studio is clean and sterile.
Tattoo may take longer to heal afterwards, especially if your bloods are running higher than normal.
Make sure you follow the tattoo after care about keeping clean, using correct type of cream etc.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Assuming they open on 15th as expected....they were put back by 2 weeks. I've been waiting for my eyebrows tattooing since March (at a pristine beauty salon). I was due on 6th April, then was booked in last Thursday but Boris decreed otherwise. I'm now booked in for next Tuesday. It's all very well for people to say how nice for me that I haven't gone grey, but sadly it's thinning instead something wicked, and my eyebrows have all but disappeared.
My BG is between 5 & 7.
Hope your tattoo goes well and isn't too painful @PatchGFC x

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
Assuming they open on 15th as expected....they were put back by 2 weeks. I've been waiting for my eyebrows tattooing since March (at a pristine beauty salon). I was due on 6th April, then was booked in last Thursday but Boris decreed otherwise. I'm now booked in for next Tuesday. It's all very well for people to say how nice for me that I haven't gone grey, but sadly it's thinning instead something wicked, and my eyebrows have all but disappeared.
My BG is between 5 & 7.
Hope your tattoo goes well and isn't too painful @PatchGFC x
Normal tattooists have been open for a couple of weeks now, my tattooist wont tattoo faces at the mo, but other areas of the body are fine.

Alicat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm type 2 and looking at getting a tattoo for my 40th but not sure if i can or is safe to do so. Has anyone got any advice on this.

Thanks
Hi, I’ve got two tattoos and as long as you follow the aftercare instructions you will be fine...had no problems with mine..I’m type 1

Madeline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@Vonny do you have dermablading? I’ve been thinking about that, I have like no eyebrows left and it makes my face look very egg-like.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My friend who's lost a lot of hair looked at eyebrow tattooing and we were both gobsmacked cos it costs a fortune - yet doesn't last very long at all. We both supposed it was as permanent as a normal one.

Alicat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Vonny do you have dermablading? I’ve been thinking about that, I have like no eyebrows left and it makes my face look very egg-like.
I’ve had micro blading it’s expensive but well worth it, you only need a top up once a year

Hepato-pancreato

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
got my first tattoo in 1982. pre diabetes. Had many more over the Years some post diabetes. i'd compare it to a dental appointment. Prepare the same as you do for that. Don't make it a big deal because its not. Hygeine is going to be more on top now since covid-19 than before.

Hepato-pancreato

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Just remembered. My next door neighbour is a type 2 he's got quite a few tattoos . Last time we talked about tattoos i was asking where he went and how much it cost. Never mentioned the diabetes. Thas how insignificant it was to him.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm not sure @Madeline, there are a couple of options. Last time I just went for a very thin, very pale tattoo and it bleached out within 6 months, but the lady at the new place I'm going to says it will last 18 months to 2 years, and I'm going to be a bit bolder this time. I have an egg face too! Horrid, isn't it. A friend of mine had microblading and she had it done over 2 years ago and it's still looking good. Please let me know if you have it done and we can compare notes x

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My friend who's lost a lot of hair looked at eyebrow tattooing and we were both gobsmacked cos it costs a fortune - yet doesn't last very long at all. We both supposed it was as permanent as a normal one.
Not cheap is it Jenny, but I've saved up my pocket money like a good girl :D mine is costing £350 which includes a top up after a few weeks, and she seems much more thorough than the place I previously went to.

Madeline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm not sure @Madeline, there are a couple of options. Last time I just went for a very thin, very pale tattoo and it bleached out within 6 months, but the lady at the new place I'm going to says it will last 18 months to 2 years, and I'm going to be a bit bolder this time. I have an egg face too! Horrid, isn't it. A friend of mine had microblading and she had it done over 2 years ago and it's still looking good. Please let me know if you have it done and we can compare notes x
I will! I’m so tempted. Egg face is horrid, I had my hair cut short at Christmas and Eldest Madeline burst out laughing and told me I looked like our esteemed Prime Minister.

She got her presents still. Just.