Getting a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarlump51

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am 51 and have been a diabetic for twenty nine years :( how easy is it to get a pump these days As I am not particularly that well controlled and tend not to pester the nhs too much. Now I am not working I am going to get my levels right.:D

There are qualification criteria, but the truth is that most people *should* qualify if their clinic is supportive.

Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion or ‘insulin pump' therapy is recommended as a possible treatment for adults and children 12 years and over with type 1 diabetes mellitus if:

* attempts to reach target haemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) levels with multiple daily injections result in the person having ‘disabling hypoglycaemia', or
* HbA1c levels have remained high (8.5% or above) with multiple daily injections (including using long-acting insulin analogues if appropriate) despite the person and/or their carer carefully trying to manage their diabetes.

The INPUT website has lots of innformation you might find very useful 🙂
http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/

Thank you for that. This is where I may come unstuck. Always feel that perhaps I should have a few comas to get one! Comparative to piling on extra weight to get a gastric band. I will see how I get on as in a new county so may be different.

Thank you for that. This is where I may come unstuck. Always feel that perhaps I should have a few comas to get one! Comparative to piling on extra weight to get a gastric band. I will see how I get on as in a new county so may be different.

You don't need to have a severe hypo. If you have frequent hypos or hypos without warning, such that they cause you a lot of worry and cause a negative impact on your life, you would qualify for a pump 🙂

.... and they don't have to be really LOW hypos either!

I wondered, cos most of mine were in the 3s, with only a very rare one below that. So anyway, I qualified by having an A1c creeping up the 7s plus the hypos.

Plus, is your new hospital pro-pump? Where abouts are you, does anyone on here know the answer to that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back