German Sausages

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I find it is incredibly difficult to judge the CHO content of sausages if you are eating out and not cooking them yourselves; they are just so variable. And if you are cooking them yourself you need to buy the ones with a detailed analysis on the side to have any idea.

Yesterday I after work I went to the German Christmas Market on the South Bank. They were selling german ones like bratwurst and schinkenwurst. They are all 100% meat and CHO free. Anyway I had two as the rolls they came with were quite small - very un-german. Despite having a glass of "gluh" wine (their mulled wine) with them my BG was 6.3 when I got home. Last time I had a sausage sandwich, with a cup of tea, it was double that two hours later. I think the big supermarkets need to start selling far more 100% meat sausages. And that does not mean 50% fat!

good point well made sir! Sausages are great but I always feel they have a random factor in them which they never print on the packet or if they do it's only in chinese or maderine!

ours are made in house of our local little supermarket...they do a low GI sausage as well as the made famous by terry wogan taking about them on radio 2 'pugsey sausage' for kids in need....pork and PRUNE !!

oooooooooooooh i just adore bratwurst mmmmmmmmmmm

We spend quite a lot of time in Germany as my twin daughters live there. My bloods are always fine after eating lots of bratwurst etc. My daughter who is married to a German eat both English & German food but when we visit his parents of course the food is very German!! Again bloods are always ok, though I do have to watch the calories!!! Enjoy the German sausage while you can get them!!

Love German sausages..:D

This article was published about sausages in the Daily Mail today:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ew-study-identifies-worst-value-sausages.html

Staggering low little meat there is in some of them! Top five seem the best for low CHO as ~90% meat. Similar fat in all though.

I always buy the highest meat content I can find - at least 85%. These days I also make suasage casseroles rather than have them on their own. I grill them so I can drain off the fat, then cut them up and put them in the pot with onions, carrots, leeks, mushrooms etc. This way I still get the ejoyment of a sausage meal, but tend to eat less sausage and more veg with each meal.

I'm not really surprised that sausages that cost 6p per 100g are mostly rubbish!😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back