General update.. PUMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophieee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Heelloooo. Not sure if anybody will even remember me, I've not been on here for quite a while. For those of you who don't;
I'm 15, I've had diabetes for six and a half years, and I have M.E (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - AKA Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). Due to my M.E, my diabetes control hasn't been too great, and my hba1c had gone up to 12.3.
I changed diabetes teams, back to my local hospital, and I've managed to get my hba1c down to 9.1. My new diabetes team agreed to put me on a pump, and I went on the saline trial today. They said to me that to get maximum benefits of a pump that I need to carb count, but I can still get better control than I'm getting now WITHOUT carb counting. I've gone on the saline trial today of the Accu-check combo pump today, which is brilliant because it's basically remote controlled, so when I'm too ill with my M.E, my mum can do a bloodtest on me and sort insulins out without having to even touch me, (except for finger prick of course). I've talked about carb counting with my nurse, and my mum bought a book, (http://www.carbsandcals.com/ It's soooo good I really reccoment it) and I'm STARTING to get my head around it. I managed to work out the right carbs for a bowl of cornflakes, and a sandwhich today. The pump is so good because it does all the maths for you!! Anyway! Just wanted to say hi :D Is anybody on here using the accu check combo? And also, my nurse gave me a accu check mobile, shortly before the pump trial (I won't be needing it now), and I really reccoment that as well. It has a cassette inside it with 50 test strips, and the lancet pen has 6 lancets inside that you can change by twisting the head round. It was fantastic for when I was out and about!

Hi Sophie! I do remember you 🙂

Great to hear you are getting good care now, 12.3 to 9.1 is brilliant.

I thought carb counting was a necessary to pumping, else how will you know how much of a bolus to give when you eat?

I've heard really good things about that book and might buy one next pay day. Carb counting is much easier than it sounds! I did DAFNE a couple of years ago, does your hospital offer that? I would definitely recommend it, it helped me loads with carb counting.

There are a few on here using the combo...Shelley for one, and SilentAssassin is starting hers on Monday!

I'm going to trial a pump in September, I'm going for a Medtronic 🙂

carb counting is most definitely a must for pumping, as you programme in your ratios with the pump. Sounds like you've got the accu-chek spirit combo, which is the one I have, and whilst the bolus calculator is the best thing since sliced bread, you do need the basics of carb counting at least, even if its just so you can programme the bits and pieces into the pump, and if something goes wrong with the handheld and you have to work it out yourself 🙂

well done on the hba1c though! And keep on carb counting, I guarantee that if you start carb counting and doing it well, that your hba1c will come down even more 🙂

Great news that things are improving for you and you are getting better care. I hope things continue to go in the right direction.

And yes I do remember you.

Hi hun course i remember you , thank you for the update glad it is going well xx

Such great news on hbA as well, good work x

Last edited:
Hi Sophie,
Yes - I remember you!🙂I was wondering where you had gone - so its nice to see you posting again.
You do have to be able to carb count for the pump as thats how it all works. Once you have tried a few meals it will get a lot easier and you will be able to do it in your sleep!
Great reduction in the hba1c and going in the right direction - so very well done to you!🙂Bev

Welcome back. As you say, you'e starting to get your head round carb counting. No-one gets it in a single day, so starting with foods you eat often, like cornflakes and sandwiches (when you usually only have to count bread) is the way to go. Also learn what foods you don't have to count eg vegetables, cheese etc. Then concentrating on learning carbohydrate content of foods that do contain it.

Hello good to see you back, and even better to here that you are finally getting the support you need, and your hba1c is lower. That is great you are getting a pump, when do you actually go live on it?

hi , i have the accu check combo pump and its brilliant! great news about your haba1 too! i also use the carb and cals book i take it every where its a great book 🙂

Hello good to see you back, and even better to here that you are finally getting the support you need, and your hba1c is lower. That is great you are getting a pump, when do you actually go live on it?

I'm on the saline trial, and then I go on a 6 month insulin trial next Tuesday 🙂

Hi Sophie,
Yes - I remember you!🙂I was wondering where you had gone - so its nice to see you posting again.
You do have to be able to carb count for the pump as thats how it all works. Once you have tried a few meals it will get a lot easier and you will be able to do it in your sleep!
Great reduction in the hba1c and going in the right direction - so very well done to you!🙂Bev

Ahh I know what you all mean about carb counting, I think my dsn was using it as a way to get my background insulin all the time, because that was my big problem, with not being awake in time for my levemier. And on the combo you can put a bolus in without having to put any carbs in, which would basically be doing what I was doing with my pen. But I do know to get the BEST results you have to carb count. I have an appointment with the dietician on Monday so I'll probably talk more about it with her then. My nurse made it sound so much easier though!! My old dietician was all you have to add this, multiply by that, then add that, divide, and then subract this bla bla bla so it really put me off 😛

Hello Sophie,

I'd say that learning to carb count would be an essential (down here for my team it is a pre requisite for pumpers), that way you'll be able to get even more out of pumping and believe me it really helps. Since April when I started pumping my HbA1c has dropped from 8.3% to 7.1% as of a week or two ago. That's partially due to the pump but more due to carb counting I think. It's definitely a skill to have and use. It took me a long time to face up to the fact I needed to learn to do it but I can honestly say that I haven't looked back since. It'll be hard but definitely worth it.

As for pumps, I use a Medtronic Veo, I chose that over a Roche Spirit Combo. My DSN also uses a Spirit Combo himself. Personally (and somewhat naturally, I much prefer my Medtronic, it's called Gunther.) A name is also mandatory hahaha! Best to make sure that your Mum knows the ins and outs of it.

Tom

oh a name is definitely a must

mine is called Florence :D

Hi Sophie - glad to see that your control is improving and that you are getting somewhere with your health care professionals.

I was only thinking that you hadn't been around for a while, and was hoping that you were OK.

Good luck with your pump trial.

sophieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee remember you have also wondered how you were doing recently! ...great news about pump and HbA1c good luck and theres is a few members here just starting aswell im sure you'll be able to support each other !! say hi to mum aswell and have a great summer XX🙂

Sorry i dont come on much anymore. Just wanted to let everyone know my hba1c is now down to 8.2 🙂

Wow. Good to see you have a positive attidue.

I got diabetes and my m8 has M.E.

I can't imagine to understand how difficult it must be.

Bet the better control will help the M.E. though so all I can say is keep going!

Sorry i dont come on much anymore. Just wanted to let everyone know my hba1c is now down to 8.2 🙂

That's terrific Sophieee! 🙂 Great to hear of further improvements, that is such a change from when you first came on here! Don't be a stranger, we are here to support you! 🙂

Hi Sophie, great result! I'm starting on an accu chek spirit combo (hopefully!) at the end of the month, so I'll probably be asking you lots of questions! 😉 Great to hear things are going the right way 🙂

Hi Sophie, welcome back.

Good luck with the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back