General rant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPixels

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just ordered some test strips and am surprised at the amount of packaging used to send such a small box. I've mentioned it before to the company and was told they'd do something. I ordered some test solution recently and it came in a small padded envelope that was less than half the size of this box. Funds prevent me from ordering a large quantity of test strips which would ultimately use less resources...

Attachments

• P1090974.jpg
    P1090974.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 5
I suspect it's complex. Maybe having a slightly larger box actually works out cheaper (doesn't weigh much more and because it's a bit bigger it's less likely to get lost in the van). Using a smaller box might just be more annoying for several steps in the chain making it not worthwhile.

Agree completely with @Bruce Stephens and that companies probably can’t be bothered about environmental factors and resources

Pretty much anything from Amazon comes in a box about 3 sizes too big!
My daughter’s pump supplies come in a box that’s far too big, with FRAGILE stamped all over the side but minimal padding inside so it all falls about. To be fair it’s only plastic stuff so not really fragile, but why stamp the box as such then. Whereas Dexcom, by comparison, come in a box just big enough to pack it all in neatly so that it doesn’t move. So it can be done!

A lot depends on who packs it. I don’t know whether such things are fully automated yet. When I first started working after university, there was a lad in the warehouse who was not the most intelligent, however his spatial awareness beat everyone else’s hands down. He’d gather all the parts for a customer’s order and choose a box half the size of that which any of the other packers would. They’d all be standing there thinking “he’ll never get all that stuff in that little box” but he did, every single time!

Pretty much anything from Amazon comes in a box about 3 sizes too big!
My daughter’s pump supplies come in a box that’s far too big, with FRAGILE stamped all over the side but minimal padding inside so it all falls about. To be fair it’s only plastic stuff so not really fragile, but why stamp the box as such then. Whereas Dexcom, by comparison, come in a box just big enough to pack it all in neatly so that it doesn’t move. So it can be done!

A lot depends on who packs it. I don’t know whether such things are fully automated yet. When I first started working after university, there was a lad in the warehouse who was not the most intelligent, however his spatial awareness beat everyone else’s hands down. He’d gather all the parts for a customer’s order and choose a box half the size of that which any of the other packers would. They’d all be standing there thinking “he’ll never get all that stuff in that little box” but he did, every single time!
Really goes to show we are all special whether we are the most intelligent or the one with the most common sense or anything in between.
Everyone if they find their niche can be valuable.
I get really annoyed with the size of boxes but more so when a child can get the paper of the batteries in those bubble wrap things and I can't. Child proof means it is nay shiftin for me. Most of the time .

The environmental difference is quite possibly trivial. The slightly larger box is likely only for the last part of the journey and the weight is probably trivial.
True

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back