General Anaesthetic for T2s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, I have a hernia op booked for 6th October. Although it's keyhole surgery, I'm told it has to be a general anaesthetic rather than local. I'll be in and out in a day, but wondering if anyone knows of any complications for T2s. My latest Hba1c (August 23) is 39 so I can't foresee any complications. However there are lots of people here who know far more than I do about diabetes, so I thought I'd pick your brains to see if I need to take any action to avoid complications. Many thanks in advance x

Sorry, don’t know about type 2. But with a hba1c in the 40s, I have had general anaesthetic a couple of times with no issues or risks.
The only thing I had to ”manage” was to convince my surgeon that I could keep my insulin pump. I assume you are not taking insulin so thai would not be relevant for you.

Thanks so much @helli, and you are correct that I'm not on insulin. I can look forward to that fab anaesthetic feeling like you are falling backwards through goose down then, and not worry!

Hi everyone, I have a hernia op booked for 6th October. Although it's keyhole surgery, I'm told it has to be a general anaesthetic rather than local. I'll be in and out in a day, but wondering if anyone knows of any complications for T2s. My latest Hba1c (August 23) is 39 so I can't foresee any complications. However there are lots of people here who know far more than I do about diabetes, so I thought I'd pick your brains to see if I need to take any action to avoid complications. Many thanks in advance x

I have had one GA, post T2 diagnosis, for breast surgery.

No problems whatsoever. When checking you're ok on the day, whilst doing things like your BP, they'll also do a finger prick test.

For me, the worst part was the sarni - plastic, white bread with rubberised cheese. I wasn't GF then, but I had predecided that come the time, I just wanted to come home, so I'd have a couple of bites to satisfy the discharge tick list.

I will be having a pre-op assessment this coming week for a minor hand op, under local, next week (from the farcical cancellation). Pre-op by phone. You couldn't make it up, although better than another hospital appointment I suppose.

Fingers crossed for you on the 6th.

My prob with a GA is that I throw up after them - but at least they now give you the requisite jab as soon as you try a sip of water - and heave. Well - as long as they've noted what I've told them!

When I had my knee surgery after my accident there was no problem, they did check my blood glucose with a finger prick when they did the other obs and it was always fine. The biggest problem was finding something low carb to eat as I was in the hospital for 3 days.
I did feel queasy in the recovery but as soon as they moved the bed to take me to the ward was when I was actually sick.

Hope the op goes well @Vonny

I’ve not had a GA since my diagnosis, so can’t offer anything helpful in terms of experiences, but wanted to wish you well, and a speedy post-op recovery.

Thank you all, you have set my mind at rest 🙂 Hope the pre-op goes ok @AndBreathe, though as you say, not quite sure how you can do a pre-op over the phone!!!

Just one more.

I had kidney stones removed under GA in 2018, having been on metformin since 2010. Previous HbA1c was 46 & no issues other than waking with the driest mouth ever.

Thank you all, you have set my mind at rest 🙂 Hope the pre-op goes ok @AndBreathe, though as you say, not quite sure how you can do a pre-op over the phone!!!
My pre-op happened this morning - all fine.

To be honest, it was a young woman going through a form, which I could have done more comfortably, in my own time, but not to worry. She was very pleasant. There was still quite a lot of focus on Covid, with a warning not to have any vaccines (Covid, flu or whatever) in the 7 days before or after my op, although that seemed to be along the lines of comfort, rather than danger.

It seems I passed, so good to go next Monday.

Your won't be long coming around. Fingers crossed you find it a breeze.

There should be no problem at all. I had a keyhole hernia op last year and a repair to that one (!) tomorrow as open surgery. I'm on insulin so you have to be careful to manage that just before the op. Just ensure where you can that your BS is in a good range. If it isn't the hospital can put you on a drip to bring it in range.

Best of luck with your surgery tomorrow @DaveB

I also wonder whether there’s any specific thing they worry about with GA. Obviously it’s going to be different for everyone. I am on the list for wisdom tooth surgery (basically I had one removed and a chunk of root didn’t come with it like it was meant to and now it’s annoying the nerves and causing pain so it needs digging out as well as a coronectomy on the lower wisdom tooth). My surgeon was really nice about it and said that there wouldn’t be too much trouble, even with my severe asthma which is a nightmare at the best of times. I’m just worried about delayed healing issues.

Some people have to stop Metformin 48 hours before surgery. In this case you could be put on a sliding scale and may spend the night until everything stabilises.

My only issue has been complications with a GA due to sleep apnea, hope your op goes well!

I also wonder whether there’s any specific thing they worry about with GA. Obviously it’s going to be different for everyone. I am on the list for wisdom tooth surgery (basically I had one removed and a chunk of root didn’t come with it like it was meant to and now it’s annoying the nerves and causing pain so it needs digging out as well as a coronectomy on the lower wisdom tooth). My surgeon was really nice about it and said that there wouldn’t be too much trouble, even with my severe asthma which is a nightmare at the best of times. I’m just worried about delayed healing issues.
Delayed healing tends to be more common when blood glucose levels are running elelvated, along with an increased likelyhood of infection, so I'd say the general messaging would be to maintain your blood glucose wel as as you can in the runup to and the aftermath of the op.

(Not saying you don't do that already, but more a sort of double down messaging.)

Best of luck with your surgery tomorrow @DaveB
Thanks. I reduced my Basal by 30% in the morning and took no Bolus with my breakfast. I planned to take some Bolus shortly before the op if needed but in the end it was all OK. I agreed this approach with my pre-op nurse and I know it's a fairly normal approach if on insulin. A T2 may find it more difficult and need a glucose drip. Another poster has mentioned Sliding Scale which i would avoid like the plague unless you are sure the nurse knows what he/she is doing. Nurses are busy and can forget to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back