Gene May Link Diabetes and Alzheimer's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In recent years it became clear that people with diabetes face an ominous prospect -- a far greater risk of developing Alzheimer's disease. Now researchers at The City College of New York (CCNY) have shed light on one reason why. Biology Professor Chris Li and her colleagues have discovered that a single gene forms a common link between the two diseases.

They found that the gene, known to be present in many Alzheimer's disease cases, affects the insulin pathway. Disruption of this pathway is a hallmark of diabetes. The finding could point to a therapeutic target for both diseases. The researchers report their finding in the June 2012 issue of the journal Genetics.

"People with type 2 diabetes have an increased risk of dementia. The insulin pathways are involved in many metabolic processes, including helping to keep the nervous system healthy," said Professor Li, explaining why the link is not far-fetched.

Although the cause of Alzheimer's is still unclear, one criterion for diagnosis of the disease after death is the presence of sticky plaques of amyloid protein in decimated portions of patients' brains.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120614130936.htm

I wish I hadn't read that Northie. As if it wasn't bad enough already .....

I dread A's.

If we worried about everything that may or may not be linked with diabetes then it wouldn't be worth getting out of me... life is for living and enjoying....🙂

The good news is that two very powerful reasons exist to make it worth working towards a solution. One thing that struck me when I did some studying of Motor Neurone Disease was that, because it is such a rare problem (about 5,000 in UK suffer from it) there is sadly little incentive to research it. Not so with diabetes and Alzheimers.

In recent years it became clear that people with diabetes face an ominous prospect -- a far greater risk of developing Alzheimer's disease. Now researchers at The City College of New York (CCNY) have shed light on one reason why. Biology Professor Chris Li and her colleagues have discovered that a single gene forms a common link between the two diseases.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120614130936.htm

Well I must say ....umm ...er ... ummm .... I've forgotten what I was going to say :confused:

The good news is that two very powerful reasons exist to make it worth working towards a solution. One thing that struck me when I did some studying of Motor Neurone Disease was that, because it is such a rare problem (about 5,000 in UK suffer from it) there is sadly little incentive to research it. Not so with diabetes and Alzheimers.

Northener I love you because you're always so positive. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back