GCM monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Got an appointment with my diabetic doctor to discuss my blood results ,fearing the worst, going to ask if there's any chance I could get a GCM of some sort on prescription, I'm diagnosed as type 2 but take both basal and bolus insulin, finding it a bit of a struggle to get finger prick readings throughout the day whilst working to see when readings are rising or falling, I shall once again raise the issue this time with the doctor, even thought about funding it myself but its not exactly cheap.

You are entitled to a monitoring device on the NHS as you are on insulin. Not sure if you will be entitled to a CGM it will probably be the Libre.

Fingers crossed you have a positive discussion @Charl

The official NICE guidance for CGM in T2 was updated fairly recently and you can read it here (you have to scroll down a bit to get to the CGM section)

Essentially the criteria for getting CGM in T2 are now:

Continuous glucose monitoring​

1.6.17 Offer intermittently scanned continuous glucose monitoring (isCGM, commonly referred to as 'flash') to adults with type 2 diabetes on multiple daily insulin injections if any of the following apply:

With further guidance / recommendations in section 1.6.18 onwards.

Good luck and let us know how you get on 🙂

Hi. I started by self-funding the Libre 2 Flash monitor but a few months back my NHS endo approved having it on prescription. I'm slim and always have been and although my T1 tests were inconclusive he treats me as a T1 as I have bad control even with Basal/Bolus and low carb. If you are slim check that you aren't late onset T1. If you have excess weight then make sure you keep the carbs down if you aren't already doing that and BS control should improve.

Hi. I started by self-funding the Libre 2 Flash monitor but a few months back my NHS endo approved having it on prescription. I'm slim and always have been and although my T1 tests were inconclusive he treats me as a T1 as I have bad control even with Basal/Bolus and low carb. If you are slim check that you aren't late onset T1. If you have excess weight then make sure you keep the carbs down if you aren't already doing that and BS control should improve.
How were your tests inconclusive if you don’t mind me asking ? Borderline GAD? Only asking because mine were borderline. Always been slim (actually skinny) I’m currently a LADA on paper although it changes all the time. However my new consultant says that if I stay in range without meds like I have been doing for the last couple of years he has to change me back again to a type 2 unusual phenotype. He has provisionally warned me this means taking my libre away. Im ok with that.

Just to add, sorry if I’ve already badgered you about this before, I’m a sucker for an oddball :rofl:

Got an appointment with my diabetic doctor to discuss my blood results ,fearing the worst, going to ask if there's any chance I could get a GCM of some sort on prescription, I'm diagnosed as type 2 but take both basal and bolus insulin, finding it a bit of a struggle to get finger prick readings throughout the day whilst working to see when readings are rising or falling, I shall once again raise the issue this time with the doctor, even thought about funding it myself but its not exactly cheap.
Monitoring device on prescription was mentioned by the doctor but said the funding issues were still being sorted, next time I see my diabetic nurse going to mention it.

How were your tests inconclusive if you don’t mind me asking ? Borderline GAD? Only asking because mine were borderline. Always been slim (actually skinny) I’m currently a LADA on paper although it changes all the time. However my new consultant says that if I stay in range without meds like I have been doing for the last couple of years he has to change me back again to a type 2 unusual phenotype. He has provisionally warned me this means taking my libre away. Im ok with that.

Just to add, sorry if I’ve already badgered you about this before, I’m a sucker for an oddball :rofl:
Hi. My GAD was negative and my urine C-Peptide was just above the T1 top limit. In my case I believe a virus caused my beta cell damage hence the negative GAD. It is very difficult for GPs or Endos to make the 'right' decision as the tests are not ideal and we are all different. My endo is very good if bonkers and doesn't follow rules. The longer I have my diabetes the more I realise how different we all are. I hope you can keep the Libre if it does help you monitor your sugars. I find mine essential to try to manage my badly behaved BS.

Hi. My GAD was negative and my urine C-Peptide was just above the T1 top limit. In my case I believe a virus caused my beta cell damage hence the negative GAD. It is very difficult for GPs or Endos to make the 'right' decision as the tests are not ideal and we are all different. My endo is very good if bonkers and doesn't follow rules. The longer I have my diabetes the more I realise how different we all are. I hope you can keep the Libre if it does help you monitor your sugars. I find mine essential to try to manage my badly behaved BS.
It may be better to have the blood C peptide test as that is more reliable so might help with a proper diagnosis. I think it is more difficult to do as not many labs do it and the sample has to be frozen quickly after being taken so restricts where you can have it taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back