Gallstone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mage 1

I went for a ultrasound scan yesterday they found a big gallstone I am not in any pain so was a bit shocked. Do you usually have them out or can you just live with them I have read so much I am now confused.doctor is ringing me today so I would like to get some insight into what other have done thanks

I know a couple of people who were in much pain and digestive upset with them so they did have surgery to remove to gall bladder.
They were diagnosed because of that so I suppose it all depends.
Other stones eg bladder, kidney can sometimes be broken up with ultrasound, I don't know about gall stones.

Hi @mage 1 and hope your doctor has been able to reassure you somewhat. I have no knowledge of gallstones other than a couple of colleagues who have had operations which were successful. As I recall they had a fortnight on sick leave to recover with no complications. Best wishes x

Hi @mage 1 and hope your doctor has been able to reassure you somewhat. I have no knowledge of gallstones other than a couple of colleagues who have had operations which were successful. As I recall they had a fortnight on sick leave to recover with no complications. Best wishes x
Thank you the doctor text me to say everything looked ok and I didn’t need a operation at the moment

I have a small Gallstone and have had one for a couple of years - it has caused me some slight discomfort on occasion (usually when eating a fatty meal!) but I refuse to have my gallbladder removed - seems the default option - of course you can live perfectly normally without a gallbladder but I hear of so many stories when it has been removed and the effects are worse than the occasional pain with the gallbladder / gallstone still in place...

If it's not causing major issues, I'd be inclined to leave it as is but monitor...

For me being on shakes for 12 weeks not so long ago and hearing about side effects of gallstones while on the shakes was concerning but I persevered and I now rarely have any pain at all now...

The pain is normally below the ribs on the right hand side FYI...

😉 😉

A large gallstone is too big to cause any problems, unless it gets very large. It’s the smaller ones that cause the pain, because they can enter the outlet tubing, causing the classic griping pain. Yours will just sit there, growing slowly.

I had my gallbadder removed 16 years ago after developing stones whilst pregnant. The gallstone/s were agony - 3 weeks after an emergency c section - I went bright yellow and was writhing in pain - (way worse than the bits of childbirth I was there for). My gallbladder was removed - it was an easy operation - the pain was gone - it was wonderful. but... I have had problems with my gut since - chronic diarrhoea. I cannot eat fat or for some reason fruit - I can usually control it with food (by eating lots of carb and some fibre) but have medication when it gets away from me.

I was only diagnosed with diabetes 3 months ago. Metaformin was hell. But I am managing on slow release. I now am struggling with my diet as now I have cut out the carbs ... Struggling with sugar levels and diarrhea... But I am new to this.

I had my gallbadder removed 16 years ago after developing stones whilst pregnant. The gallstone/s were agony - 3 weeks after an emergency c section - I went bright yellow and was writhing in pain - (way worse than the bits of childbirth I was there for). My gallbladder was removed - it was an easy operation - the pain was gone - it was wonderful. but... I have had problems with my gut since - chronic diarrhoea. I cannot eat fat or for some reason fruit - I can usually control it with food (by eating lots of carb and some fibre) but have medication when it gets away from me.

I was only diagnosed with diabetes 3 months ago. Metaformin was hell. But I am managing on slow release. I now am struggling with my diet as now I have cut out the carbs ... Struggling with sugar levels and diarrhea... But I am new to thi
A large gallstone is too big to cause any problems, unless it gets very large. It’s the smaller ones that cause the pain, because they can enter the outlet tubing, causing the classic griping pain. Yours will just sit there, growing sl

A large gallstone is too big to cause any problems, unless it gets very large. It’s the smaller ones that cause the pain, because they can enter the outlet tubing, causing the classic griping pain. Yours will just sit there, growing slowly.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back