Gaining weight

Woodywoodpecker

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Has anyone any tips on putting weight on, I’ve lost 3 stone and struggling to put some back on

Snacks and desserts are good @Woodywoodpecker Also, use full fat milk, etc. Things like oily fish, nuts and avocado are high in healthy fats.

You might find something like MyFitnessPal useful. It allows you to log all your food and keeps a calorie count so you can make sure you’re eating at least your chosen amount of calories every day. It’s sustained higher calorie intake day after day, week after week, that will put the weight back on, along with controlling your blood sugar, of course.

A dessert each day is a good way to add calories. Fruit crumble and custard is good (you can use no added sugar custard); a trifle (again with no added sugar custard) is good. You can have sugar free jelly and cream or ice cream. Ice cream makes a good dessert too, as does a slice of cake or cheesecake.

For snacks, you can have cheese and nuts (ie no carbs) or biscuits, cereal bar, etc, and bolus for it. The trick is to keep it up.

A do love apple crumble, been avoiding cakes as thought too much sugar in them. Mibi I’m being to strict with myself, not sure how much sugar allowed a day

Sugar is ok @Woodywoodpecker The diet recommended for Type 1 is the same healthy diet recommended for everyone else. The only thing I was told to avoid was sugary drinks and lots of sweets unless treating a hypo or about to exercise (that’s because they’re pure sugar so are absorbed very quickly, making them good hypo treatments but trickier to match insulin to).

You have to count the carbs in any dessert or cake you eat, but there’s nothing wrong with them. I suggest you start with something small so you can judge how your blood sugar goes, eg a flapjack or brownie bar. Both of those are around 20g carbs, so you can have one and see how it goes. Type 1 is all about tweaking - tweaking the insulin dose, tweaking the timing of the meal/snack insulin. Any high sugar isn’t the fault of the food. It’s almost always the insulin - not enough, needed to be injected a little earlier, etc.

Thank you so much, I’ve been avoiding cakes etc because off sugar in them. I was actually diagnosed with type 2 last October, 7 months later 3 stone lighter extreme thirst and could not see properly and begging for help. Was told nothing to do with the diabetes just have another slice off bread, finally got to see someone and my glucose was 30. Sent home over weekend with medication, told if vomiting or pains in stomach to 999

Thank you so much, I’ve been avoiding cakes etc because off sugar in them. I was actually diagnosed with type 2 last October, 7 months later 3 stone lighter extreme thirst and could not see properly and begging for help. Was told nothing to do with the diabetes just have another slice off bread, finally got to see someone and my glucose was 30. Sent home over weekend with medication, told if vomiting or pains in stomach to 999
Lacking insulin you were in danger of keto acidosis - it could well be that you have lost muscle in that misdiagnosed time.
I'd advise a regular intake of protein to rebuild your body structure, as you want your weight to be something beneficial to strength and well being, not just a layer of fat to carry around.

Far greater amount of carbs in flour than sugar in recipes usually - unless it's summat you'd expect to be mega sweet anyway, you know, like the recipe for toffee! It's just a very very high proportion of carbs in sugar itself (90+ percent) in comparison to most other things, eg (white) wheat flour is 72(ish)% carb, so a high amount but not as high as sugar. OK so sugar in tea/coffee etc and anywhere else it can be easily eliminated let's all do that - but refusing the entire cake rather than just removing the icing but still enjoying the cake itself is a tad OTT ! 😉

Good luck with your weight-gain plans @Woodywoodpecker

Don’t panic about trying to change weight in too much of a hurry. Just add a little more energy and nutrients into a healthy varied diet, along with some activity, and allow your body to regain muscle and form. <3

I lost a lot of weight (almost 2 stones, and I was only 11 1/2) just before diagnosis and have gradually put most of it back on but my dietician was a bit concerned at the time - don't try and do it all in one go though - more carbs will help (even lthough that seems counter-intuative - just make sure you match your insulin intake to counteract!) and still avoid the sugary stuff - extra protein will help without a doubt

I lost a lot of weight (almost 2 stones, and I was only 11 1/2) just before diagnosis and have gradually put most of it back on but my dietician was a bit concerned at the time - don't try and do it all in one go though - more carbs will help (even lthough that seems counter-intuative - just make sure you match your insulin intake to counteract!) and still avoid the sugary stuff - extra protein will help without a doubt
First coupl off weeks put 4lb on, but last 3 months only put 2lb on. I am tall and everyone seems to have plenty to say about it, that am not eating enough but feel I’m eating more now, just not as much rubbish and cans off full fat cola

Back