Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacen017

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Me again,

Sorry to keep bombarding you all with questions.

I just got the numbers for the antibody tests. Does anyone know what to make of them? All the team I speak to will say is that they are inconclusive and to wait until I see the consultant in a month.

GAD antibodies - 1160 Normal Range <5
IA2 - 6.5 Normal Range <7.5
Zinc Transporter - 8.9 Normal Range <15

Take what I say with a pinch of salt because I'm newly diagnosed (T1 diagnosis on Christmas Eve) but from what I understand, testing positive for at least one of those normally means you're either T1 or LADA. I don't believe T2 get these as T2 is more of an insulin resistance than an autoimmune thing.

Mine were all high (GAD >2000 u/mL, Islet antigen 235 iu/mL, ZR TR 8 >500 u/ml) and the nurse I spoke with yesterday said that actually they often don't see them that high because they tend to see people after they've become unwell and at that point their immune system has all but killed off the insulin producing cells, so sometimes levels can be low for those people. It's only because I'd found mine early that mine were that high apparently so it could just be a reflection of what stage you're at?

Again, I'm really new at this and haven't even seen my consultant myself so if hopefully the community will correct any mistakes I've made! Hopefully you get answers from your team soon.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt because I'm newly diagnosed (T1 diagnosis on Christmas Eve) but from what I understand, testing positive for at least one of those normally means you're either T1 or LADA. I don't believe T2 get these as T2 is more of an insulin resistance than an autoimmune thing.

Mine were all high (GAD >2000 u/mL, Islet antigen 235 iu/mL, ZR TR 8 >500 u/ml) and the nurse I spoke with yesterday said that actually they often don't see them that high because they tend to see people after they've become unwell and at that point their immune system has all but killed off the insulin producing cells, so sometimes levels can be low for those people. It's only because I'd found mine early that mine were that high apparently so it could just be a reflection of what stage you're at?

Again, I'm really new at this and haven't even seen my consultant myself so if hopefully the community will correct any mistakes I've made! Hopefully you get answers from your team soon.
Twinsies - I was diagnosed on Christmas Eve also! Just not been given a type yet ahah.

I'm a little frustrated that I've been waiting for those results only to be told "inconclusive" with nothing more.

Twinsies - I was diagnosed on Christmas Eve also! Just not been given a type yet ahah.

I'm a little frustrated that I've been waiting for those results only to be told "inconclusive" with nothing more.
Sorry to hear we got the same Christmas present! I was waiting a long time for my results too, I had my blood taken 4th November and it took until Christmas Eve for them to come in. I imagine it's frustrating them not being able to tell you much from them after you've waited ages.

It does seem like they're treating you like T1 though from a quick glance at your post history, I don't think you would be told to take those dosages of insulin and use a Libre if you were T2. It might end up being that they say to you those numbers were just for confirmation and they just continue treating you as they are now.

Mine was inconclusive 10+ years ago. I was desperate to find out what type I was, but now realise it is of little importance. It's what you have to do to manage the disease and how well you do it. And FWIW not many GPs would understand the difference in my experience and my endo consultant was unimpressed. It's just a label!

Well I guess that answers my question hahaha.
Why couldn't they just tell me? I looked on the NHS app and they updated the entry 🙄
Screenshot_20220118-194235910 (1).jpg

I guess they wanted it to be official from the consultant @Jacen017 You did sound like a Type 1 so see this as a helpful confirmation.

Now you’re confirmed as Type 1, do ask about swapping to a basal/bolus regime. It’s what’s recommended for Type 1 and will give you a lot more flexibility.

Now you’re confirmed as Type 1, do ask about swapping to a basal/bolus regime. It’s what’s recommended for Type 1 and will give you a lot more flexibility.
I'll do that tomorrow when the Diabetic Nurse calls me🙂
I guess they wanted it to be official from the consultant @Jacen017 You did sound like a Type 1 so see this as a helpful confirmation.
It's definitely helpful for my sanity haha

I just spoke with the DSN - She had already sent a prescription out for new insulin for Basal/Bolus before she called me.
Feeling quite confident with her - She took a lot of time with me on the phone and really seems on the ball:D

Great news @Jacen017 .. that you have a good DSN, not that you have Type 1 although we are all living, breathing, laughing, crying, ... proof that you can live with Type 1.

In my experience a DSN who understand Type 1 and insulin dosing is invaluable. You have previously mentioned a dietician (who advised increasing your carbs to match you insulin). In my experience, a dietician is of less value.

If you need additional help with basal/bolus or carb counting we are here to help you.

Great news @Jacen017 .. that you have a good DSN, not that you have Type 1 although we are all living, breathing, laughing, crying, ... proof that you can live with Type 1.

In my experience a DSN who understand Type 1 and insulin dosing is invaluable. You have previously mentioned a dietician (who advised increasing your carbs to match you insulin). In my experience, a dietician is of less value.

If you need additional help with basal/bolus or carb counting we are here to help you.
Yes, welcome @Jacen017 ,

My introduction to DM was very different; total pancreatectomy followed by 2 weeks in hospital. But I got to meet my DSN the day after I was discharged and received extremely strong support from her in those first weeks of insulin taking. I faithfully completed the logbook that came with my "pack" of goodies for diabetes (test meter, strips, etc) and every fortnight I took a photo of the logbook entries and (at my DSN's suggestion) e-mailed it to her with questions that had occurred to me over the 14 days. Her response was prompt and she sometimes adjusted my dosing regime.

At that time I wasn't carb counting and really didn't understand or have the inclination to try and understand what each insulin change was doing or why. BUT it was an essential part of the process of getting me more stable as well as just helping and reassuring me about managing DM. No doubt that her years of experience allowed her to interpret my readings and semi-literate squiggles and hence help me adjust what I was doing.

I agree with @helli that dietician support is less important at this stage. Broadly you can eat whatever you want, provided you take bolus insulin to counter the carb intake - unless of course your diabetes has been triggered by some diet related other illness OR if you are trying to lose weight. But it follows that it helps to carb count and thus take the appropriate amount of insulin. This isn't as difficult as it sounds; I very quickly found that I was automatically getting a "data-base" in my brain of what the carbs are for those foods that I regularly ate, per 100gms and now the kitchen scales are permanently out. If you don't already have some kitchen scales, a digital set makes things easier and readings quicker and clearer.

Good luck with this; there's a lot to learn at this early stage, but it is possible and this forum seems to answer any question you throw at it.

All I know is GAD results >10 is positive for autoimmune T1. Mine a month after diagnosis was only 19 (I was well with zero symptoms having seen my GP for a routine med review when high BP was picked up and she ordered a blood test) but a DSN I spoke to told me she sees results up in the 1000s. I got a T1 diagnosis as my fasting BG (after a blood test days earlier of 12.3 mmol) was 7.5 and ketones of 2.8 (Normal range is 0.5ish) T2s rarely have raised ketones. I hope this helps x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back