Gabapetin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Slightly off the topic as it's for me not Rose but just wondered if anyone is taking this for nerve damage? I've been prescribed this this week and have a few questions that i forgot to ask the doc 🙂

thanks

I have been taking it for around 18 months and am just weaning down to change over to a new med, so happy to see if I can answer any questions you might have

Thank you 🙂 I've just been diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia after about 10 weeks of ear infections and 6 further weeks of my ear being clear but have been in chronic pain. I wondered how long it will take for the Gabapentin to start working and what painkillers you take alongside it? Has your pain gone then, is this due to the tablets? Thanks 🙂

I take gabapentin for peripheral neuropathy and gotta say, its pretty ace stuff. My pain very rarely affects me now :D

When I first started taking it it made me go really woozy, but not anymore

I found that the pain was eased within around a week, and after a month or so i increased my dose as the pain wasn't totally gone. I found that it worked well for me for around a year, pain didn't totally go but was much improved and the pain i got was tolerable. I am now changing meds because I am on a high dose of gabapentin and my symptoms are worsening. I don't know if my neuropathy is getting worse or the meds have stopped working.

I found that on initially starting and with each dose increase I got headaches that lasted a few days before wearing off. I also felt more sleepy and would fall asleep very easily at night (which wasn't a bad thing for me!).

I didn't take any other painkillers really, only the odd diclofenac when I thought my foot pain was not only due to nerve pain.

Hope they work well for you Becca

hey.. i have been on gabatentin... tramodol... lycra... everyone is different really... i have the same as you... the pain in the side of the cheeks yes??... well i still have that.. that didnt go.... i am also on a new drug called sativex.. which is a cannabis based spray.. this helps... if you want to mail me i can go a bit more indepth about it with you ..

hope its a pain less.. free well you know what i mean day....😉

lee

hey.. i have been on gabatentin... tramodol... lycra... everyone is different really... i have the same as you... the pain in the side of the cheeks yes??... well i still have that.. that didnt go.... i am also on a new drug called sativex.. which is a cannabis based spray.. this helps... if you want to mail me i can go a bit more indepth about it with you ..

hope its a pain less.. free well you know what i mean day....😉

lee

Thank you so much everyone for replying 🙂 Lee i'll probably email you on facebook 🙂 Yep, pain is in my ear, around the ear, down my side of my face and jaw......

met a lovely guy (patient) last week who'd come in for his sativex, he said it tasted like cockroaches, but it was the only thing that allowed him to walk. Sure enough, he took a puff and walked out of the pharmacy. I was so impressed.
The legal shenanigans around Sativex can be a bit tricky, what with it being a) refridgerated b) a controlled drug and c) un licensed. You might have to be seen under a hospital pain clinic to be prescribed it, i don't thinl any of our patients can get it in community.

Gabapentin is one of the most commonly used drugs for neuralgia, neuropathy and nerve pain. Doses should be stepped up and down slowly, don't stop taking it without consulting your doctor.

Rachel

yeah it took ages for me too get on it..... i am very very lucky to have an amazing consultant who isnt scared of trying new things... its so about where you live and who you see... i also believe though that painkillers are just another piece to the puzzle... tehy work if your mind is in the right place... stress and neuropathy go hand in hand... dont you think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back