G.p. notes omitting things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gladys

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Have been visiting g.p practice re my change in colour and lack of feeling in feet. Health Assistant did doppler test which showed no pulses in left foot. Referred me to g.p. in the afternoon. Healthcare Assistant notes mention nothing of feet examination, doppler test, pulses not felt in one foot, merely mention blood pressure readings. I saw Healthcare Assistant after sending an econsult for feet to be examined due to noticing changes/problems. Notes from g.p. in afternoon just give blood pressure readings. Again she examined my feet - nothing in the notes. Spoke to different g.p. today to follow up on foot care as things getting worse. He did not know what I was referring to. Advice on how to have things put in notes that are being omitted please.

Hi , not surprised at all.

Prior to change of surgery it happened to me on a regular basis.

Sorry you are having trouble with your GP notes.

How are you accessing your notes? I wonder if it’s possible that you are seeing an edited / abridged version?

The main issue I have with appointments is that the notes seem rarely if ever to be read - I just get asked the questions again!

I am accessing my notes online. Some things I do need to ask for a more detailed version via reception e.g. letters emailed from hospital, I need the reception to print out copy of letter for me. I believe health professionals are just adding issues that refer to a certain health issue e.g blood pressure, weight, height, lifestyle as they all fall under blood pressure check, but not logging reason I had gone via econsult I sent i.e. pulse problems in feet/loss of feeling in feet. I went for a different medical problem a couple of weeks ago and that is logged. I do want pulse problem/loss of feeling with feet in notes as I will probably ask for referrals. Don't want to waste my time with g.p. talking about admin but do want to address it, just not sure best way

It sounds like you don’t have full access so you’re just not seeing some things, ask reception how to get access to the free text notes and documents. I wouldn’t need to ask reception to download a letter for me for example, I’d download it from the documents section of the app. Same with notes, sounds like you’re only seeing test results e.g. blood pressure. I’d see the “discussed headaches which are continuing” text too. I’d see my econsult I’d filled in on the app in the notes too.

All the letters are pinned as scanned files on my online access under patient record.

I'm not surprised.
In my notes there are loads of comments sneering about failed diet advice, unsuccessful diet, says diets don't work and on and on. There were a couple of records stating that I had an appointment on a particular day one never happened and the other recorded the diagnosis of a condition I did not have and a treatment I was not given. I was left alone in the doctor's office once and could not resist taking a look at the paperwork.
Later on in life I was told that I'd had an annual check up on my general health every year since I turned 40 - which was 25 years earlier. I said that I did not think so. I was told that it was when my thyroid checks were done, around my birthday each year. My birthday is April, my thyroid checks were done on or around the Feast of St Crispin (25th October)
I told the GP to beware of people who both keep a diary and are familiar with Shakespeare.

I am accessing my notes online. Some things I do need to ask for a more detailed version via reception e.g. letters emailed from hospital, I need the reception to print out copy of letter for me. I believe health professionals are just adding issues that refer to a certain health issue e.g blood pressure, weight, height, lifestyle as they all fall under blood pressure check, but not logging reason I had gone via econsult I sent i.e. pulse problems in feet/loss of feeling in feet. I went for a different medical problem a couple of weeks ago and that is logged. I do want pulse problem/loss of feeling with feet in notes as I will probably ask for referrals. Don't want to waste my time with g.p. talking about admin but do want to address it, just not sure best way

It sounds like you are accessing your summary record, rather than the whole shebang. To have extended access, I had to make a second request, then was only given access from the date of my request, so had to follow up spelling out what I wanted. That was:

- Access to full medical record, including free-form notes, letters to and from third parties.
- Access to my record for my lifetime to date and the future.

That seemed to get the message across. If you ask for full access, it could be sensible to circumvent potential misinterpretations.

Good luck moving forward. You are right to become insistent.

I am insistent 🙂 Being informed helps with discussion with g.p., what NHS can offer, what they cannot, what treatment I may need to pay for, what questions to ask when at ten minute g.p. appointment. etc. That is helpful information from everyone, thankyou. I will go and find out if I am accessing my summary record and how to have extended access.

Letters to third parties is important to see as wasted money a few months ago seeing private neurologist after my head injury caused by faint from drop in blood sugars. A & E had said to see neurologist, and subject access request I got from A & E mentioned this. G.P. I saw at time would not make an NHS referral so I asked for a private referral. Private neurologist did not receive letter from g.p. and this affected appointment.

I am wanting referrals to check out Peripheral artery disease as no pulses in one foot and loss of feeling worse in both feet
So vascular referral and what things I can do myself to help

Also is there any podiatric support - not holding my breath for this one?

To have my neuropathy looked at again

I will see how I get on and what ends up in notes!!!

Once again, thank you everyone Gladys

@Gladys , I was having a brain fade earlier, the proper name for what I think you are seeing is the coded record, which is effectively a summary, as I said before. Your Summary Record merely contains major diagnosis, allergies and so on. No context whatsoever.

In asking for full access, I might be inclined to ask for it plainly, with context of the additional things you want to see. If they decline,the submit a DSA request. Trust me, it’d be easier for them to provide full access than order a van to bring your records round. The van would be to cope withe the bulk of photocopying they have done. 🙂

I asked for my records from my knee surgery in Oct 2021 and there was 126 pages including the CT scans and Xrays but I was surprised that most was hand written. It was sent as a link and a CD. But among it was a request sent from the GP to Gynae Dept in 2010 for an appointment for a vault smear test, I received no appointment.

My one and only foot exam I’ve ever had was a couple of months ago. The nurse couldn’t find pulse in my left foot either. She just said ah well I’m not really worried about that. I had the same after an operation, got a couple of nurses trying and was told they found it in the end but are notoriously difficult to find. It was described and faint but not weak

My one and only foot exam I’ve ever had was a couple of months ago. The nurse couldn’t find pulse in my left foot either. She just said ah well I’m not really worried about that. I had the same after an operation, got a couple of nurses trying and was told they found it in the end but are notoriously difficult to find. It was described and faint but not weak
Similar when I went to the "foot clinic" after a referral from the practice nurse. Mentioned it to the surgery by email as my GP was away and never had a reply. Sent the email again when he returned still nothing.

I am insistent 🙂 Being informed helps with discussion with g.p., what NHS can offer, what they cannot, what treatment I may need to pay for, what questions to ask when at ten minute g.p. appointment. etc. That is helpful information from everyone, thankyou. I will go and find out if I am accessing my summary record and how to have extended access.

Letters to third parties is important to see as wasted money a few months ago seeing private neurologist after my head injury caused by faint from drop in blood sugars. A & E had said to see neurologist, and subject access request I got from A & E mentioned this. G.P. I saw at time would not make an NHS referral so I asked for a private referral. Private neurologist did not receive letter from g.p. and this affected appointment.

I am wanting referrals to check out Peripheral artery disease as no pulses in one foot and loss of feeling worse in both feet
So vascular referral and what things I can do myself to help

Also is there any podiatric support - not holding my breath for this one?

To have my neuropathy looked at again

I will see how I get on and what ends up in notes!!!

Once again, thank you everyone Gladys
I have all these issues as well -convinced I only get to see the summary record. In terms of neuropathy podiatry had a look but then I got referred to Community Therapy ( a catch-all physio clinic) where I have been treated by a very helpful physio who gave me lots of useful exercises for strengthening my ankles and legs which has helped with walking.

I've known for may years that various bits of the NHS don't communicate well, if at all but I burst into guffaws the other week when I had a letter from the NHS (no address email or contact for them) telling me now I was over 60 was it or 65? they'd no longer be inviting me for regular cervical smears so I need to watch out myself, myself and seek whatever medical advice I might feel I needed.

I'll be 73 in April and had my cervix removed along with the total hysterectomy and bilateral oopherectomy plus removal of the endometriosis none of us knew about until then, some 4 or 5 years before I even moved to Coventry in 1998.

I too think I am seeing the Coded record "AndBreathe". e.g. my notes say "Faint", because I fainted - with a code next to this. I have to ask to see what the detail says. And that is a Summary Record? I did ask receptionist if I had full access to my notes when at g.p. practise today and she said "yes"? Nothing in notes about my feet, but had a call from NHS today saying I had been referred to cardiovascular, referral would take around twenty weeks. That does suggest there is activity going on that I am not seeing in my notes. I will ask again tomorrow for "full access" to notes that give context to referral to vascular and for this sort of access to remain.

Visit to g.p. today was helpful as he initiated a referral to neurologist to look at my neuropathy. I will see how that appears in notes.
Interested in what you say about physio helping neuropathy " berryr99". I may ask about that when see neurologist,

I am assuming full access to notes would show if letters had been received or sent e.g. referral letters, letters from hospitals, from A & E etc. I do not want to pay for any one off private consultations again and find the g.p. has not written a referral letter/email.
The diabetes nurse cancelled our appointment some months back, stating she would refer me elsewhere as I had reactive hypoglycemia and this was outside her area of expertise. Hopefully notes will show if a referral was made .

I am sorry to hear other people are having some of issues I describe. Health matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back