Fustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendyjoy18

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Advice please. I’ve been diagnosed type 2 since October 20. I just can’t get to see a doctor… it’s ridiculous.
my score on the door was 107. I got it down to 41 by February 21 with the help of 3 metformin a day and low carb diet.
I reduced metformin to 1 per day in April but my latest test came back at 42.
can’t get to speak to anyone. Does that mean I need to increase metformin again as I was hoping for a lower count. I’m not sure what to do?????

Hi @Wendyjoy18. To me 41 and 42 are the same, so I would not be panicking about anything. Keep doing what you are doing and see what the next result is!

It seems to be not all that uncommon for a type 2 who gets back into the normal range to become uninteresting to their GP I have not seen mine since late 2016.
I can only suggest going on with the low carb diet as that is what is doing it for me and remind the surgery to do the Hba1c test each year along with the eyes and feet checks.

Hi @Wendyjoy18. To me 41 and 42 are the same, so I would not be panicking about anything. Keep doing what you are doing and see what the next result is!
Thank you. I’m just disappointed that my reading wasn’t lower. I’ve had 2 x 41 and now a 42. I hate not having control! Lol

It seems to be not all that uncommon for a type 2 who gets back into the normal range to become uninteresting to their GP I have not seen mine since late 2016.
I can only suggest going on with the low carb diet as that is what is doing it for me and remind the surgery to do the Hba1c test each year along with the eyes and feet checks.
Thank you. Doctor wasn’t interested from the start. Lol. Thank heavens for this forum!

Advice please. I’ve been diagnosed type 2 since October 20. I just can’t get to see a doctor… it’s ridiculous.
my score on the door was 107. I got it down to 41 by February 21 with the help of 3 metformin a day and low carb diet.
I reduced metformin to 1 per day in April but my latest test came back at 42.
can’t get to speak to anyone. Does that mean I need to increase metformin again as I was hoping for a lower count. I’m not sure what to do?????
I think that is a fantastic achievement and you should not be unhappy with the result. I would just keep doing what you have been doing and let your body settle to the new almost normal, and see what happens next time. I doubt if you would get any advice from your GP that would be better than what you are doing, certainly by many people's experiences which have been counter productive in getting blood glucose under control.

I think that is a fantastic achievement and you should not be unhappy with the result. I would just keep doing what you have been doing and let your body settle to the new almost normal, and see what happens next time. I doubt if you would get any advice from your GP that would be better than what you are doing, certainly by many people's experiences which have been counter productive in getting blood glucose under control.
Thank you.

I think, considering how long you have actually had diabetes, to actually expect to get a lower than non diabetic HbA1c, is unrealistic, quite frankly! You've done brilliantly in such a short space of time 'on your own' and I am by no means suggesting you stop aiming lower - but to just be happy for the time being by how well you've done so far, is all. 🙂

I think, considering how long you have actually had diabetes, to actually expect to get a lower than non diabetic HbA1c, is unrealistic, quite frankly! You've done brilliantly in such a short space of time 'on your own' and I am by no means suggesting you stop aiming lower - but to just be happy for the time being by how well you've done so far, is all. 🙂
Ok… perhaps I am being over optimistic. I wasn’t sure if that is what so should be aiming for. I suppose to only be on 1 metformin a day and have a HbA1c of 42 isn’t bad in the great scheme of things. I appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Ok… perhaps I am being over optimistic. I wasn’t sure if that is what so should be aiming for. I suppose to only be on 1 metformin a day and have a HbA1c of 42 isn’t bad in the great scheme of things. I appreciate the advice. Thank you.
It isn't just 'not bad', it is really, really good!!
Well done.

Thank you. I’m just disappointed that my reading wasn’t lower. I’ve had 2 x 41 and now a 42. I hate not having control! Lol
But you absolutely have control and you are doing fantastic!

Please don't be disappointed with the 42 because there are error margins in all measurements and it could just as easily be 40 or 43. I am pretty sure if the result had come back as 40 you wouldn't be questioning your control, but as @Docb says, there is really no significant difference between the 2 numbers scientifically, just mentally for you, because one number happens to be in the normal range and the other pre diabetic.
To bring your levels down from 107 to very consistent low 40s is exceptionally good control and to be honest, advice from your GP could easily have jeopardized that, rather than improved on it, because many GPs have no idea about managing diabetes. The best they could have done is give you a huge pat on the back, but hopefully the virtual ones that we are giving you will provide some reassurance.

Massive "WELL DONE" from me too.

My Hba1c was 41 after 6 months, then 42, and 42 - A -ha - I thought - I will make it go down by reducing my carbs from no more than 50 to strictly under 40.
Nope - 42.
Having eaten probably 4000 gm fewer carbs in the year and got exactly the same Hba1c - something did not add up. I still stuck to the under 40 gm of carb on most days, and my Hba1c had gone up to 52, and then came back down to the inevitable answer to life, the universe and everything again, and I don't know why - but everything seems to be going well enough, all things considered.
I can't offer any advice, except, to quote the cover of the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy - don't panic.

But you absolutely have control and you are doing fantastic!

Please don't be disappointed with the 42 because there are error margins in all measurements and it could just as easily be 40 or 43. I am pretty sure if the result had come back as 40 you wouldn't be questioning your control, but as @Docb says, there is really no significant difference between the 2 numbers scientifically, just mentally for you, because one number happens to be in the normal range and the other pre diabetic.
To bring your levels down from 107 to very consistent low 40s is exceptionally good control and to be honest, advice from your GP could easily have jeopardized that, rather than improved on it, because many GPs have no idea about managing diabetes. The best they could have done is give you a huge pat on the back, but hopefully the virtual ones that we are giving you will provide some reassurance.

Massive "WELL DONE" from me too.
Thank you for your reassurance and encouragement. It’s very much appreciated.
I guess over all I’m struggling with actually having something wrong with me. Lol.
I’ve always been so healthy albeit a bit overweight for the last 10 years.

My Hba1c was 41 after 6 months, then 42, and 42 - A -ha - I thought - I will make it go down by reducing my carbs from no more than 50 to strictly under 40.
Nope - 42.
Having eaten probably 4000 gm fewer carbs in the year and got exactly the same Hba1c - something did not add up. I still stuck to the under 40 gm of carb on most days, and my Hba1c had gone up to 52, and then came back down to the inevitable answer to life, the universe and everything again, and I don't know why - but everything seems to be going well enough, all things considered.
I can't offer any advice, except, to quote the cover of the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy - don't panic.
It’s certainly a mystery! Lol. Nice to know I’m not alone. Other people’s experiences are so interesting. Certainly more informative than the doctors surgery. Thank you.

Thank you for your reassurance and encouragement. It’s very much appreciated.
I guess over all I’m struggling with actually having something wrong with me. Lol.
I’ve always been so healthy albeit a bit overweight for the last 10 years.
The way I look at it now is that I am actually more healthy than I was before my diagnosis, because it has forced me to focus on improving my diet and fitness and losing weight. I very much see my diabetes as a condition rather than an illness. If I manage my diabetes as well as I can, I will remain healthy. My change of lifestyle seems to have improved other health conditions too, so my asthma is now almost none existent and I no longer suffer debilitating migraines which I have had for 20+ years and I can even enjoy a glass or 2 of red wine which was my only known trigger. I need almost no over the counter medicines anymore whereas I was regularly taking paracetamol and ibuprofen pre diagnosis (and diet change).... so for me there are lots of positives to it that I do not think I would have achieved without that big hefty kick up the backside of a diagnosis. The only thing I struggle with is that it took my diagnosis to make me sort myself out.

Anyway, I hope that helps you put a different spin on it.

The way I look at it now is that I am actually more healthy than I was before my diagnosis, because it has forced me to focus on improving my diet and fitness and losing weight. I very much see my diabetes as a condition rather than an illness. If I manage my diabetes as well as I can, I will remain healthy. My change of lifestyle seems to have improved other health conditions too, so my asthma is now almost none existent and I no longer suffer debilitating migraines which I have had for 20+ years and I can even enjoy a glass or 2 of red wine which was my only known trigger. I need almost no over the counter medicines anymore whereas I was regularly taking paracetamol and ibuprofen pre diagnosis (and diet change).... so for me there are lots of positives to it that I do not think I would have achieved without that big hefty kick up the backside of a diagnosis. The only thing I struggle with is that it took my diagnosis to make me sort myself out.

Anyway, I hope that helps you put a different spin on it.
You’re so right. This has been an almighty kick up the backside for me. I’ve lost 4 stone, got myself a personal trainer and have never felt healthier. Personally I was motivated by fear but whatever works eh?
Pleased you’re doing well now.

Wow! 4 stone weight loss is absolutely amazing! Many congratulations!

Guilt was essentially my motivator rather than fear but whatever you feel that is negative at diagnosis, if you can turn it around and put it towards getting a positive result, then it has been useful. Clearly you have done that in spades!! Just sad that you haven't had any official/medical recognition for your effort. I hope your family and friends are as impressed and proud of you as they should be for such a massive achievement and I hope you have rewarded yourself with a little treat or two of some sort.... facial, massage, new hair cut, holiday, new outfit.... hopefully all of them!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back