Fungal infections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi everyone,

Just wanted anyone's input into fungal infections that affects most of the body. Rose has had one for 3 weeks now, we originally thought it was an allergy but now the GPs seem to think it's fungal and has prescribed Nizarol shampoo that she is to use all over. She is absolutely covered this morning with some raised bits being 2" long and 1" wide. Some are itchy :(

Reading up on this is appears that people with diabetes can be prone to fungal infections...just wondered what other's thoughts are...

Thanks

The nearest I have come to a fungal infection is one under my big toe nail that I was advised to use curanail on. I think there may alos be tablets, but I am not sure if they are suitable for children.

General advice is not to share things like towels or bedding and wash everything as often as possible, and clean things like the bath after the person affected has used it with disinfectant. I was told these things are contagious.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I hope the fungal infection clears up soon.

The nearest I have come to a fungal infection is one under my big toe nail that I was advised to use curanail on. I think there may alos be tablets, but I am not sure if they are suitable for children.

General advice is not to share things like towels or bedding and wash everything as often as possible, and clean things like the bath after the person affected has used it with disinfectant. I was told these things are contagious.

Thanks 🙂 Just found the piece of paper from the GPs...The name for it is Pityriasis versicolar - it's not contagious. The yeast like germ that causes the germ is commonly found on the skin. For reasons unclear, it seems the germs multiplies more easily to cause a rash on certain people. I remember the GP saying that with the heat and sweating, sometimes this causes it to flare up.

Just wish it would go :( Am fed up of Rose getting everything....

My Hubby has a Fungal infection so the Dr gave him 2 types of cream .... 1 to use for 10days and 2 to use for 3 weeks . Well so far its clearing up fine , but also has to go foe Diabetes Blood test....... so we will see what happens 🙄
Hugs Mo

Hello, I am a type 1 (24 years) and have not had a fungal infection however I do have 2 children (now 16 and 13 non diabetic as yet) who have had fungal infections. My daughter has had a toenail thing before and refused to treat it - using nail polish to cover it ! I moaned for ages till she sorted it and it cleared up straight away (!). Both my daughter and my son have played rugby and have had this skin fungal thing (common in rugby evidently - caught through scrums/contact etc - lovely !) which appears on their necks and backs and makes them look like Star Trek extras. They treat it with Canestan cream and it clears up quite quickly - although comes back when playing. Anyway just to say I think kids (well mine anyway!!) are more prone to this stuff and their contact with other kids etc encourages the catching of them. As a diabetic living in such a scuzzy house though I have never caught any fungal thing from them - although they have passed on a million colds etc in their time ! Obviously as diabetics we are more prone etc etc but this is down to control as well I think. Just posting to say don't worry too much I think some kids get this stuff more (or maybe it's just mine but I have never caught anything from them). Maybe it will help build your daughter's immunity overall ? Just a thought.........must get back to my lovely household, good luck!

Did the curanail work well? ive been on terbinafin for a year now with a toenail infection and it doesnt seem to work!

UKjeff - I'd read terbinafine patient information leaflet and / or ask a pharmacist if you've been using it for a year without effect. BNF says about terbinafine "250 mg daily usually for 2?6 weeks in tinea pedis, 2?4 weeks in tinea cruris, 4 weeks in tinea corporis, 6 weeks?3 months in nail infections (occasionally longer in toenail infections)". Might be time to speak with GP about other treatment options.

my doc keeps telling me to watch i dont get any fungal infections namely with regards my feet though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back