Funded CGM? No but no but ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am very lucky to have an insulin pump and have been prescribed Libre.
Recently, I had the chance to trial the CGM which interacts with my pump to auto suspend my insulin. This greatly improved my diabetes management and reduced the number of hypos I have.
So, at my last annual review, I asked if they would find these CGMs for me.

The answer ...

"We discussed about the funding of your Medtrum sensor today. Unfortunately, the local CCG has not quite got around to deciding on if they would fund for all types of sensors and, at present, we can still only fund the Freestyle Libre. IO fully appreciate that the pricing of the Libre and Medtrum sensors are not hugely different, but, unfortunately, the Local Commissioner Tariff dictates what we can and cannot do at the moment, but, hopefully, as more data comes through regarding the benefits of sensors, this may change in the future and we will let you know if we hear anything different in the future."

I am unimpressed.

Recently, I had the chance to trial the CGM which interacts with my pump to auto suspend my insulin. This greatly improved my diabetes management and reduced the number of hypos I have.

The answer ...

"We discussed about the funding of your Medtrum sensor today. Unfortunately, the local CCG has not quite got around to deciding on if they would fund for all types of sensors and, at present, we can still only fund the Freestyle Libre. IO fully appreciate that the pricing of the Libre and Medtrum sensors are not hugely different, but, unfortunately, the Local Commissioner Tariff dictates what we can and cannot do at the moment, but, hopefully, as more data comes through regarding the benefits of sensors, this may change in the future and we will let you know if we hear anything different in the future."

I am unimpressed.
Send them a copy of the NICE guidelines.

I was basically told the same thing and pulled the discrimination under the disability discrimination act 2010 on them 🙂 I have my Dexcom.
Have a look here as well https://www.facebook.com/partha.kar.716

Send them a copy of the NICE guidelines.
Send who a copy of the NICE guidelines?
My consultant and DSN are as frustrated as I am so I am not going to bombard them.
How do I find out who the accountant is who is making these decision s on my health?

Send who a copy of the NICE guidelines?
My consultant and DSN are as frustrated as I am so I am not going to bombard them.
How do I find out who the accountant is who is making these decision s on my health?
Look on your ccg website under drug tariff and it should say something like prescribing for long term conditions. I didn't go that far as pointed out the facts to DSN and it was taken further.

Sorry to hear you‘ve hit a bit of a wall @helli

Very frustrating for you :(

Hope you are able to find a way of contacting the CCG and applying pressure

I suspect many people are going to be jumping through the same tiresome hoops over the coming weeks and years after the change in NICE guidance.

I’ve had flat NOs before with my lot, so am expecting the same.

I remember enjoying Alison from Shootup’s amusing tales of gentle persistence with her PCO (now CCG?). The struggle dates from 2009, but was ultimately successful 🙂

Many CCG's have now been superceded by Intergrated Care Systems.

Last edited:
Many CCG's have now been supported by Intergrated Care Systems.
My local CCG is part of a ICB.
Their website includes a very detailed complaints policy and process which explains they accept complaints by email, letter and phone but does not provide an email address, physical address or telephone number for themselves (it provides them for the advocacy service, citizen's advice, the local authority, etc.) 😡

The answer ...

I am unimpressed.

Shame, gotta hope they include Medtrum sensor soon.

The answer ...

I am unimpressed.
Sorry to hear this.

Do you have the medtrum pump?

Their pump and CGM would be my ideal. I know it’s unlikely that I will get either funded but I wanted to try at least.

Sorry to hear this.

Do you have the medtrum pump?

Their pump and CGM would be my ideal. I know it’s unlikely that I will get either funded but I wanted to try at least.
Yes, I have the Medtrum Nano.

I like the size but it is not the most reliable pump I have had so I am not 100% certain whether I would advise it as a first pump. It really suits me and, working from home, if it fails, it is easy to replace. It is also difficult to ignore when it fails as it beeps constantly until you respond to it like a Tomagotchi.

Maybe I am being a little unfair - I was one of the first in the UK to get the Nano and they have subsequently admitted it was released too early: effectively I was a beta tester. The last update I was given has been much more stable.
And the design of the pump means that it is easy for them to send out an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back