Fun and games with BG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkGeordie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So I’m still having some fun and games with BG but they are getting better!

This is today…

Insulin night before - 22 units Tresiba

Woke up 6am

BG at 6.10am - 11.6

Had a cup of tea.

No insulin (maybe should have for the milk?)

BG at 7.52am - 12.2

Walked to doctors and to collect a parcel

BG at 9.02am - 13.4

BG at 10.42am - 12.0

BG at 13.01pm - 9.6

Insulin - 10 units Novorapid

BG at 15.00pm - 9.0

BG at 16.05pm - 5.3

No snack this afternoon

and no additional insulin.

BG at 16.35pm - 7.0

BG at 17.12pm - 3.8 (meter said 6.0)

7 minutes later Libre reading 5.9

Do you think my sensor is playing up?
Saying I’m hypo and meter saying different.
Numbers jumping drastically.
Last 2 readings drastically different.

Help?

Libre does that (am a dexcom wearer now)
Don't think its a dud as gave an accurate reading soon after...where you leaning on the sensor? Wonder if many be compression low?

Compression low? What’s that.

Compression low happens when pressure is applied to the sensor. Most often, this can happen if the sensor is on the side of the arm and you roll on to that arm while asleep. Pressure restricts the flow of interstitial fluid to the sensor causing it to show false low readings.

But, false low readings can also be caused by inadequate hydration, which is why it is important to drink enough water.

Lastly, sensors can become faulty and show inaccurate low or high readings. It is always advised to check with a finger prick test if symptoms do not match sensor readings.

Oh thanks for that. It can’t have been the compression low because I haven’t been asleep this afternoon, I was sat at a desk working.

I drink almost 2 litres of water a day so I’d hope I was hydrated enough.

I will keep an eye on the sensor and double check with meter if in doubt.

Do you think you might be coming down with something? My bg isn’t right today and I’ve got an illness of some sort.

I would also advise checking sensor reading with a finger prick too, just to be sure.

I feel alright in myself so I don’t think I’m coming down with anything.

Just some further insights.

During the night I had my alarm go off three times telling me I was under 4. When I got up and checked with meter, I was not, so maybe they are compression lows?

I don’t think the sensor is faulty because I’ve checked with the meter when I also have normal BG too and they match.

I’m hoping DSN calls today.

The worst thing is, when your making changes and trying your best to improve and need guidance it’s so hard to speak to anyone.

No one ever answers the DSN number so you always have to leave a message or send an email, then it’s always admin who respond, by the time they have done that and arranged a DSN to get in touch it can be like 5 days or more.

You can’t speak to a GP as the receptionist always refuses an appointment and even then it could be weeks away.

It’s hard enough managing diabetes but then when you need DSN input too it’s not there.

Further update -

Thanks for all the help.

So the alarms going off during the night have stopped and it looks like those ones were compression lows. I have been lying on the side where my sensor is not placed and it’s all been fine.

As for the random lows in the afternoon, they have just stopped out of the blue.

Still some tweaking to do but overall very pleased.

Estimated HbA1C on Libre is 66 which is better than the latest one I had earlier in the year which was early 90’s - not sure how accurate the estimated one is though?

Only disappointing thing is, DSN has still not made contact after requesting this.

Good to hear things have improved a bit and you have figured out the low alarms during the night are compression lows and have taken steps to prevent them.
Libre usually predicts HbA1c slightly lower than it is in reality but only by a few mmols so it looks like you are on course for a big improvement.... Well done!
Personally I would not ask a GP for any advice about my diabetes because they simply don't know enough about it. It pays to become the expert in your own diabetes management and you can learn a lot from the good people here but you also have to do a bit of experimenting on yourself to see what works for your body with the insulins you have and the food you eat. Libre really helps you to get a much better idea of what is going on

Hopefully all will be fine now, but if it keeps reoccuring consider asking for a dexcom...i started having lots of false lows with libre but no issues since i went to dexcom

Only disappointing thing is, DSN has still not made contact after requesting this.
I agree it is disappointing not hear back from them.
But I also agree with the sentiment that we need to learn as much as possible to do ourselves.
I don't say this form a "DSNs focus on type 2 so don't know anything about Type 1" perspective. I say it from a "every body is different. We only have one body to work out what it needs. A DSN needs to normalise every body into a fictitious typical body" perspective.

Good to hear things have improved a bit and you have figured out the low alarms during the night are compression lows and have taken steps to prevent them.
Libre usually predicts HbA1c slightly lower than it is in reality but only by a few mmols so it looks like you are on course for a big improvement.... Well done!
Personally I would not ask a GP for any advice about my diabetes because they simply don't know enough about it. It pays to become the expert in your own diabetes management and you can learn a lot from the good people here but you also have to do a bit of experimenting on yourself to see what works for your body with the insulins you have and the food you eat. Libre really helps you to get a much better idea of what is going on

Yeah I find the GP isn’t the best either but was exploring options to see who I could speak to.

Had another compression low last night, but wasn’t even lying on that arm, so that was strange, as meter confirmed there was no low.
Hopefully all will be fine now, but if it keeps reoccuring consider asking for a dexcom...i started having lots of false lows with libre but no issues since i went to dexcom.
Yes I’ve heard of that too although would I just ask the consultant and would I need a justified reason?

I agree it is disappointing not hear back from them.
But I also agree with the sentiment that we need to learn as much as possible to do ourselves.
I don't say this form a "DSNs focus on type 2 so don't know anything about Type 1" perspective. I say it from a "every body is different. We only have one body to work out what it needs. A DSN needs to normalise every body into a fictitious typical body" perspective.
I think the thing I find frustrating is they say they are there for advice and support and they are not.

If you then attended clinic and things were not as they should they would say why didn’t you get in touch. Well I did!

I understand all teams are busy and I know mine was last year as they were finding it hard to recruit to replace people.

I think you have a pretty much free choice between dexcom one and libre 2
I got so sick of disturbed sleep i bought a g6, ran it in parellell with libre 2, and presented the diabetes team with the data. They had to seek funding. I have no hypo awareness so that may have helped
I would have tried one but i think you had to buy like 3 month wereas you could buy a month of g6. I would have tried Libre 3 but it wasn't available via websites.
I think dexcom one is like g6 but without sharing data functionality. I find the decxcom so accurate i can trust it to treat lows without blood test
Dexcom has different alerts so you can set iyt up to run lower at night when you have less rapid insulin on board.
I also had some false lows during day, so what you are seeing sounds very familiar

Is Libre 3 like Dexcom? Just I do remember my team saying they can have a consultant prescribe it now? But you can’t buy it anywhere. Or maybe I got that wrong? As another DSN had said she would speak with consultant and let me know. So I thought that might have been there way if getting me the most up to date Libre.

Had another compression low last night, but wasn’t even lying on that arm, so that was strange, as meter confirmed there was no low.
I wonder if you rolled onto that arm whilst you were asleep but then rolled off it again before the alarm went off and woke you, but the algorithm predicted that your levels were continuing to drop and triggered the alarm even though the compression low was resolving.
You could experiment with using different sites for the Libre instead of your arm. I have it in my head that you don't drive, but if you do, then you might need to consider testing before driving and during long journeys with finger pricks and BG meter because you are using Libre in an unauthorized site, but some men find their chest quite good or tummy. The same applies with compression lows in these areas though so if you sleep on your front it may be a problem and need to avoid the waistband/belt area where again pressure would be an issue for compression lows ..... OR try applying your Libre a little further to the back of your arm next time and see if that helps. I generally sleep on my back but when I do roll over, my brain has subconsciously learned to adjust my position so that I don't get compression lows any more in the same way I guess as you learn not to roll out of bed.

I wonder if you rolled onto that arm whilst you were asleep but then rolled off it again before the alarm went off and woke you, but the algorithm predicted that your levels were continuing to drop and triggered the alarm even though the compression low was resolving.
You could experiment with using different sites for the Libre instead of your arm. I have it in my head that you don't drive, but if you do, then you might need to consider testing before driving and during long journeys with finger pricks and BG meter because you are using Libre in an unauthorized site, but some men find their chest quite good or tummy. The same applies with compression lows in these areas though so if you sleep on your front it may be a problem and need to avoid the waistband/belt area where again pressure would be an issue for compression lows ..... OR try applying your Libre a little further to the back of your arm next time and see if that helps. I generally sleep on my back but when I do roll over, my brain has subconsciously learned to adjust my position so that I don't get compression lows any more in the same way I guess as you learn not to roll out of bed.
That is actually a very good point because I just assumed it would have alerted me straight away but never considered I could have rolled back before it went off.

I was thinking of trying to sleep on my back.

I may also try my stomach area when I apply the next one. Just cautious that if it doesn’t work I won’t have an extra one to then go back to my arm.

Nope I don’t drive as visually impaired.

I think it’s just becoming frustrating as it’s interrupting my sleep a lot now. I know I could turn them off but that obviously won’t help me if I was actually having a hypo.

Is Libre 3 like Dexcom? Just I do remember my team saying they can have a consultant prescribe it now? But you can’t buy it anywhere. Or maybe I got that wrong? As another DSN had said she would speak with consultant and let me know. So I thought that might have been there way if getting me the most up to date Libre.
As far as i know you can't buy libre 3. My team said libre 3 wasn't a possibility locally, but dexcom was. I wasn't offered dexcom one but g6 has more functionality.
They thought dexcom wpuld be better as can put on tummy but i prefer dexcom on arm and it works well for me there- only wakes me when i need to be woken. No complaints (other than shaped like a wee coffin)
Dexcom is a wee bit harder insert and needs a code entered, but you can take photo of code. The phones it works on our a small lis
t, but you can use receiver or a 'hacked' version of the app via the 'build your own dexcom app' available from some random on reddit- have had no problems with it

Thanks for that.

I know you can’t buy it as I looked. (Libre 3)

However they must have started rolling it out because the DSN sent me an email earlier to say she sees no problem getting the Libre 3 she is awaiting consultant approval.

Although, she is going to arrange to call me so maybe I can bring up the dexcom too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back