Frustration!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_G

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
majorly frustrated!

So i have just got in from a night out (not drinking btw) so before i went out, about 9:30 i checked sugars and was 10.2, yea a little high prob something to do with a little chocolate after dinner as i treat myself on a friday! anyway i went out and did quite alot of energetic dancing which usualy brings my levels down, however when i checked my sugars again at about 11pm it was 12.4 so they went up! that was the first part of the frustration!

The next bit annoyed me even more! i took my long acting night insulin as i would normally do at 11pm so i thought good my levels will go down a little now, nope!! checked sugars again at about 1am 16.4!!! what the heck happened! 😱

Not only that but when i got back i was starving so had low carb snack of a little bacon n eggs, then checked sugars AGAIN 2 hours later and was 12.2 then another hour later 10.1

So when i took my insulin my sugars went up and when i ate they went down!! i thought its meant to be the other way around Grrr am i bein stupid or can someone explain, i just feel im not in control of this atall :(

It can be enormously frustrating when things go completely contrary to what you expect, but there are a couple of possible explanations. Energetic dancing when your levels are on the high side can actually cause your sugars to rise if there is insufficient 'circulating' insulin in your system, as your cells are unable to process the glucose without insulin - so if your fast-acting had been taken a long time earlier this might be a cause. Your slow-acting would probably have taken some time to get into your system and may have been sufficient only to stop you from climbing much higher.

Also, it may be that excitement might have caused adrenaline and cortisol to have been released into your system - this prompts the liver to put out its own stores of glucose causing your levels to rise. Eating may then cause this to slow or stop.

I'm not much of a dancer these days, but I have experienced similar anomalies when out running! Hope things have settled down by now🙂

Ahh yea that sort of makes sense! i just got so confused and it totally ruined my mood for the night! maybe i should take my long acting a little earlier next time?

Woke up about midday and i was 8 so went right down in the night 🙂

x

I think one of the furstrating things , well two of the furstrating things about diabetes is it's not an exact scince and it is unpredictable. Many people have been caught out with it.

I hope you feel better and things sorted themselves out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back