Frustrated

Lil3823

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
So today ive been back to gp as not feeling well.
My liver consultant picked up on some recent blood tests i had that my HBA1C level is now 55 ( was 48 in Oct 23).
I told gp that im still getting all the common diabetes symptoms , thirst, excessive hunger peeing loads etc. So she decides to do a finger prick test this came back at 11.3.
She said it was high so i asked if she thinks i have diabetes! Bearing in mind its also all in one side of my family.
Told me to await results of a Vitamin A & E test that im having done for Atrophy of the Pancreas which i was diagnosed with a week ago. Thats got nothing to do with my high sugar levels or my HBA1C result. Surely if something is wrong with pancreas this can potentially affect sugar levels cause diabetes?
I just feel that im getting pushed back and forth between my liver consultant and the dr. In the meantime they have just left me feeling poorly again. Im so frustrated

So today ive been back to gp as not feeling well.
My liver consultant picked up on some recent blood tests i had that my HBA1C level is now 55 ( was 48 in Oct 23).
I told gp that im still getting all the common diabetes symptoms , thirst, excessive hunger peeing loads etc. So she decides to do a finger prick test this came back at 11.3.
She said it was high so i asked if she thinks i have diabetes! Bearing in mind its also all in one side of my family.
Told me to await results of a Vitamin A & E test that im having done for Atrophy of the Pancreas which i was diagnosed with a week ago. Thats got nothing to do with my high sugar levels or my HBA1C result. Surely if something is wrong with pancreas this can potentially affect sugar levels cause diabetes?
I just feel that im getting pushed back and forth between my liver consultant and the dr. In the meantime they have just left me feeling poorly again. Im so frustrated
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you are not feeling too well, there sounds to be a lot going on with those issues.
The HbA1C test is the definitive one to confirm diabetes as the finger prink will vary depending on what and when you have eaten.
When you were given your HbA1C of 48mmol/mol did you make any dietary changes as that was actually the first point in the diabetes zone. Depending on what might be wrong with the pancreas it may influence blood glucose but the pancreas has other functions as well producing digestive enzymes.
Are you having a scan or anything like that to check your pancreas.
High blood glucose will give you symptoms you describe so reducing your intake of carbohydrates and drinking plenty should help but you do need a proper diagnosis and a plan of action. Certainly an HbA1C of 55 is definitely diabetic but if the cause is damage to the pancreas then that would make you Type 3c rather than Type 2. You could ask for referral to the diabetic clinic at the hospital.

@Lil3823 the diabetes range starts at 48, so you were diabetic at the previous test.
If your pancreas is damaged then it cannot produce the substances required, one of which is insulin. That would mean that you need to inject insulin and perhaps take dietary enzymes. You would not be a type 2. Your damaged pancreas has everything to do with the symptoms of diabetes.

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you are not feeling too well, there sounds to be a lot going on with those issues.
The HbA1C test is the definitive one to confirm diabetes as the finger prink will vary depending on what and when you have eaten.
When you were given your HbA1C of 48mmol/mol did you make any dietary changes as that was actually the first point in the diabetes zone. Depending on what might be wrong with the pancreas it may influence blood glucose but the pancreas has other functions as well producing digestive enzymes.
Are you having a scan or anything like that to check your pancreas.
High blood glucose will give you symptoms you describe so reducing your intake of carbohydrates and drinking plenty should help but you do need a proper diagnosis and a plan of action. Certainly an HbA1C of 55 is definitely diabetic but if the cause is damage to the pancreas then that would make you Type 3c rather than Type 2. You could ask for referral to the diabetic clinic at the hospital.
I had a contrast MRI of my Pancreas due to ongoing severe at times abdomen pain for 3yrs on and off. This showed atrophy of the pancreas. So they are checking my Vit A & E levels. I also have a liver condition which is stable atm.
But ive had all the diabetic symptoms for a similar amount of time. So i just wonder if its all connected? My consultant wrote to gp with her concerns about my higher HBA1C but nothing has been done.
They just dont take things seriously diabetes isnt a joke if i do have it.
Will have to get back to my consultant and raise my concerns. Its just a constant battle.
When my level was 48 i cut out a lot of my sugar intake reduced carbs etc. But it has still risen. So something isnt right.

I had a contrast MRI of my Pancreas due to ongoing severe at times abdomen pain for 3yrs on and off. This showed atrophy of the pancreas. So they are checking my Vit A & E levels. I also have a liver condition which is stable atm.
But ive had all the diabetic symptoms for a similar amount of time. So i just wonder if its all connected? My consultant wrote to gp with her concerns about my higher HBA1C but nothing has been done.
They just dont take things seriously diabetes isnt a joke if i do have it.
Will have to get back to my consultant and raise my concerns. Its just a constant battle.
When my level was 48 i cut out a lot of my sugar intake reduced carbs etc. But it has still risen. So something isnt right.
Type 3c diabetes can't be put right by low carb, it is more like type 1 and requires insulin and possibly other medication - there might be some type 3cs around who can provide information from their own experience, I can only point out that damage to your pancreas will result in diabetes symptoms, and they will not respond to low carb in the same way as for a type 2.

Is it worth me purchasing a glucose monitoring kit so i can keep a eye on what my sugar levels are doing. Then maybe record them so i can show a dr?

Is it worth me purchasing a glucose monitoring kit so i can keep a eye on what my sugar levels are doing. Then maybe record them so i can show a dr?
Absolutely a good idea, inexpensive ones can be bought on line, generally cheaper than the pharmacy as they have the cheaper strips. GlucoNavii, TEE2 or Contour Blue are ones with the cheaper strips.

Back