Fruit fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnski

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Many people fear fruit but don't fear all the fat or protein they have. When our bodies are full of fats, glucose to our cells can't get in and this is what blood sugar is, swimming around our blood. I do eat fruit and have got my pancreas healthier and now my numbers are down. Red berries and bananas. I don't eat grains only veg, mainly I live on salads, veg, few oats, I avoid eggs and sugar and dairy and any low sugar foods or ones with sweetners in.

Bananas are a complete No-No for us as they are loaded with sugar. No reason to avoid eggs or dairy and sweeteners are generally OK.

Most people have to find their own dietary regime which suits them. But by avoiding eggs and dairy you do restrict your meal options when those are foods which will not affect your blood glucose levels and yet you are happy to have bananas which will. You do not appear to be having much protein or fat which in the absence of the carbohydrates is where the energy to allow your body to function comes from.

Bananas are a complete No-No for us as they are loaded with sugar. No reason to avoid eggs or dairy and sweeteners are generally OK.
Not necessarily a "No-No". More a very rare treat for me and perhaps just half eaten one day and half the next maybe before or during exercise or with cream or creamy yoghurt as a dessert.

Not necessarily a "No-No". More a very rare treat for me and perhaps just half eaten one day and half the next maybe before or during exercise or with cream or creamy yoghurt as a dessert.
what else do you avoid for health?

I keep carbs low to help me manage my glucose levels more easily and keep levels stable. I therefore avoid mostly carb rich foods like bread and pasta and obviously cakes, biscuits and sweets, unless I have a hypo which needs something like that. Sadly lentils send my levels into orbit so I limit them to special occasions. Porridge also disappointingly hits my blood stream fast, even minimally processed jumbo oats made with water and then served with cream and berries, so that is also a rare treat.

You give no evidence of either protein or fat, nor any veg in what you have told us.

Nobody 'fears' fruit - if consuming certain fruit causes our BG to increase far too high in comparison to the enjoyment we have in eating it, we most likely avoid it 99.9% of the time - I'm like that with bananas too. No way do I ever need to eat a whole one - although if husband is having one, I do sometimes have one bite of his, say once every few weeks or something. Gimme a satsuma or half a smallish apple, a plum or a pear, 100g of raspberries or strawberries. I have to inject insulin for them though so if you don't use insulin you have to test your own BG and work out how much of what you can afford to eat.

Who are “us”? As a Type 1, I can eat bananas. They’re also good before exercise.

Bananas are a complete No-No for us as they are loaded with sugar.
As a T1, I often eat bananas
They are not "loaded with sugar". One banana contains about 20g of carbs and I bolus accordingly and the result is fine. No reason to consider them a "complete No No".

Please remember the full readership of this forum and that the best diet is the one that works for the person eating it. We are all different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back