Frio

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbie3

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Am I being think but can anybody please answer 2 questions.
I store unopened insulin in the fridge but when a pen is in use do I need an ice pack in my insulated bag?
If using a Frio pen holder, having soaked it in water do I then need to put it in an insulated bag or what should I put it in?
Thank you

I store unopened insulin in the fridge but when a pen is in use do I need an ice pack in my insulated bag?
No. Unless you're somewhere where it's really hot. (So in this country on those unusual days when it's over 30C, some extra cooling is going to be necessary. Make sure the ice pack isn't too close to the insulin, because you definitely don't want to risk freezing it.)
If using a Frio pen holder, having soaked it in water do I then need to put it in an insulated bag or what should I put it in?
Frio pouches come in two parts, the inner part has crystals in it which turn to a gel when water is added and an outer cloth layer (which mostly provides a layer so that other things don't get wet). You may also have a waterproof thing to put the actual pen in.

The important thing is to make sure the water from the gel can evaporate (that's how the cooling works), so whatever you do don't put the whole thing in anything airtight. You don't need to do anything else.

Opened Insulin is good at room temperature up to a month. It doesn't need an icepack etc - if it freezes it is inactivated and this could happen if gets too close to icepack

Frio is useful if you go somewhere particularly hot as it reduces the temp of your opened insulin by a number of degrees

I don't ever use or for that matter own, a Frio wallet here in the UK and don't travel abroad. My insulin is never left anywhere really hot like a car or window sill and I keep the curtains closed on the hot summer days to keep the heat out of the house, so my "in use" insulin gets no special treatment, but I do always give thought to where it is on hot days. I don't think that 30 degrees will degrade it on a short term basis otherwise the insulin in pumps would go off after a day or two in contact with the body but I imagine 40 degrees plus could start to have an impact.

when a pen is in use do I need an ice pack in my insulated bag?

Glad you found the replies helpful @barbie3 🙂

Your in-use pen will be fine at normal UK room temperature for up to 28 days, so there‘s no need for a Frio for your in-use pen 🙂

The only thing I would add to.the great comments above is to make sure your insulin stays away from ice packs. Getting too cold is as much of a risk for insulin as getting too.hot. And Frio wallets do not stop.insulin from getting too cold as they do not insulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back