Status
Not open for further replies.

gll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hey everyone

I'm traveling within the UK at the end of May (10 hours travel time give or take via train and ferries)
I know insulin would be fine out of fridge for that short time but I do use a steroid cream that is a "keep in fridge at all times" one.
Think a frio would do the job okay for the cream?

If I need to buy cooling for the cream I'm as well getting one that will do for insulin too for future use.

Thanks 🙂

Your logic about buying something that would work for your insulin on future holidays to exotic tropical locations is sound if the steroid cream will fit.
My Frio pouches are pretty old but are big enough for two insulin pens when "charged"
There are bigger ones available.

The other possibility could be taking a small cool bag for your trip at the end of May. I have one that fits a round of sandwiches and has been used for more than just picnics.

Sadly, my warped mind is picturing you trying to fit inside a fridge when you need to apply the cream. If you take it out to apply it, it will not be in the fridge "at all times".

Sadly, my warped mind is picturing you trying to fit inside a fridge when you need to apply the cream. If you take it out to apply it, it will not be in the fridge "at all times".
excuse me while I go clean up the coffee I just spat out all over from laughing :rofl:

Cool bag sounds like a good plan but I'm trying to travel light (ish) because I have to drag it about everywhere and I'm not bringing the minions...I mean kids with me to help 😉.

The frio wallet is intended to produce temperature 18-26 centigrade so it does not keep stuff at fridge temperature

Not sure about the steroid cream, but don't get too enthusiastic with a cool bag and put ice blocks in - and unfortunate rejiggle in transit and it could mangle your insulin.

Without cool blocks cool bags are good at reducing temp rises though. Having said that, I found a frio kept my insulin actively cool-feeling on a roasting hot camping trip last summer.

A very active outward bound member of the forum (sadly no longer with us) used to opt for a stainless steel thermos, kept open at night to cool down and sealed during the day.

I know insulin would be fine out of fridge for that short time but I do use a steroid cream that is a "keep in fridge at all times" one.
Think a frio would do the job okay for the cream?
Frio won’t work for that. It doesn’t keep things at fridge temperatures.

Are you sure the steroid cream needs to be in the fridge rather than it saying it can be kept in the fridge.

yeah says to store in the fridge 🙂

ill look for another solution.
Thanks all for your valuable input as usual <3

If your steroid cream is too large to fit you could maybe decanter some into sometime smaller ?

I use a Hydro Flask with a cool pack for my insulin for travel and extreme weather. I don't freeze the Hydroflask or cool pack, just cool them in the fridge.

The 591ml/20oz Hydro Flask fits insulin pens, and the 354ml/12oz easily fits vials and cartridges. Hydro Flask makes shorter food jars that would probably fit vials and cartridges, but besides the 236ml/8oz food jar, they aren't smaller, just shorter and wider.

A lot of people are happy with Frios, but I prefer the Hydro Flask, especially since I can bury it in my bag when travelling (Frios need air circulation to work).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back