Frio wallet outer lost!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

Off to sunny Tenerife on Friday! So excited. Got all my medication yesterday and excluding the insulin it is all packed.

I thought my Frio case was in my diabetes cupboard, but no it is just the inner cooling pouch and not the outer wallet. I have turned the house upside down and looked everywhere more than once, it has fallen off the planet or been eaten by the sock monster. Amazon or another site now cannot deliver ontime so I am unsure what to do. The insulin only needs to be kept cool in transit from home - airport - hotel and then will have a fridge. Do I take the cooling wallet only, or put it into another cloth case, I can probably sew one in the time I have.

Have ordered a new one anyway so I will have a replacement, just not when needed.

Thanks,

Phoebe

I’d have thought it depends on whether you've got somewhere at the other end that will freeze the ice packs for you.
Personally, I’d use the inner Frio in another cloth bag, or just wrap a breathable strip of material round it. The outer wallet is just a breathable layer to stop damage/too much leaking wetness, I don’t think there’s anything special in it that’s intrinsic to the system.

The insulin only needs to be kept cool in transit from home - airport - hotel and then will have a fridge.
If you are only using the Frio wallet to keep the insulin cool in transit, I would not be concerned unless you think you will spend hours standing around outside in extreme heat waiting for a bus to take you to your hotel.
Airports and planes are all air conditioned so your insulin will not be at risk.
I recently travelled to Dubai for work and did not take Frio or anything. The temperature was in the mid 40s outside but my insulin was well insulated in the middle of my bag and was fine.

However, if I was on holiday and spending time outdoors during my trip, I would use the Frio for my day trips. There is no point keeping my insulin in the fridge unless I was willing to go to the fridge every time I wanted to eat.

I agree with @Robin that a cloth bag will be fine to provide some added protection to your Frio inner. As long as it is breathable, it should be fine.

Last edited:
Or a plastic jiffy bag will give insulation, contain any dampness and is potentially extremely economical.

Yeah I thought maybe a plastic bag but with more holes.
I think a small vest too might do it? My feet aren’t that big @Bruce Stephens

Plastic isn’t really suitable, as the inner bag containing the crystals has to breathe to allow evaporation. which is what has the cooling effect.
Fair enough. Then just use a jiffy bag on its own, @PhoebeC. It will give you the insulation needed while transferring to your hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back