Frightened diabetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Hill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone,
I have type 2 diabetes and Insulin dependent and have been for many years. So why am I writing this? Well, like many people, I watched the TV program about diabetes and quite frankly, it has scared me so much.

I try to eat a healthy diet, I don't drink alcohol or drinks with sugar but my levels are constantly high, often 16 and above. I'm an average weight for my height and have a BMI of 28.

My question is, should I be frightened?

Hi Paul
I don't think being frightened is very constructive, but if coming to this forum introduces you to a group of friendly people with diabetes who are attempting to manage their condition to improve their health, then it's not all bad!
Welcome.

Hi Paul, welcome to the group..... There has been a lot of discussion about "that program" & to be honest I think it was a bit of sensational journalism.

I wouldn't be frightened, just one of the things you can do to prevent complications is to reduce that BG significantly. I'm assuming you test as you are insulin dependent, one of the things you can look for in testing is the affect certain foods have on your BG.
We (as a group) are here to help you in any way we can. The rest is up to you to get control & to be perfectly honest, when I had FBG in the 14 range I felt awful so you probably will feel a lot better reducing your BG

Hi Everyone,
I have type 2 diabetes and Insulin dependent and have been for many years. So why am I writing this? Well, like many people, I watched the TV program about diabetes and quite frankly, it has scared me so much.

I try to eat a healthy diet, I don't drink alcohol or drinks with sugar but my levels are constantly high, often 16 and above. I'm an average weight for my height and have a BMI of 28.

My question is, should I be frightened?
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum 🙂 Sorry to hear that you found the Panorama programme upsetting - as mentioned, there has been a very heated discussion here about it and the very negative impact it has had on many people with diabetes :(

But don't be frightened - this does not have to happen to you! Diabetes is serious, but with the right knowledge and work it can be managed well and the risks of those horrible complications drastically reduced 🙂 If your levels are generally in the 16s then there are probably quite a few things that can be done to address that. What insulin regime are you on? What does your doctor/nurse say about your high levels? It may be that your medication is not sufficient for your needs, particularly if it hasn't changed for some time. The other, and probably most important thing, is what are you eating? Doctors and nurses often tell people to 'eat healthily' without actually specifying what is 'healthy' when you have diabetes - either that or they give you totally inappropriate and outdated diet advice, such as eating 'lots of starchy carbohydrates'. Any type of carbohydrate will raise your blood sugar levels, but some will raise them faster, and by more, than others. Moreover, this can vary according to the individual, so there is no 'one-size-fits-all' that will work the same for everyone. As a result, it's important to discover where your own particular tolerances lie for different things, and the only efficient way to do this is by testing before and after eating. Have a read of Test,Review, Adjust by Alan S to understand how this works. For a guide to how to select food that will have a slower, steadier impact on your blood sugar levels you might also like to investigate the GL (Glycaemic Load) diet - The GL Diet for Dummies is a very good introduction.

Keep a food diary, noting down everything you eat and drink for a week or two, paying particular attention to the amount (in grams) of carbohydrate in what you eat and drink. Using this, along with your blood sugar readings from your meter, you should be able to spot patterns and areas where you should be able to improve things by removing, reducing or replacing some items from your diet - e.g. have less potato and more green veg.

What about exercise? Are you able to get some regular, daily exercise in? This can help improve your insulin sensitivity so you use insulin more efficiently in controlling your blood sugar levels, and it can also help to reduce weight if that's something you need to do - often even 'skinny' people benefit from regular exercise by reducing the internal 'visceral' fat that may not show, but which can be a hidden problem for many people 🙂

I know it's a long time since you were diagnosed, but you might find Jennifer's Advice and Maggie Davey's letter useful also, plus the excellent book Type 2 Diabetes: The First Year by Gretchen Becker. Stick with us and I am sure we can help turn things around for you and get those readings into single figures! 🙂

Welcome to the forum, Paul Hill.
When you say your "levels are constantly high, often 16 and above", do you mean these are the levels from your own meter? If so, you're right, those readings are too high - they should be in the region of 4 to 8 mmol/l. However, there's lots you can do, as Northerner has alread mentioned - increasing exercise, reducing carbohydrate in diet, reducing body weight a bit (aim for BMI 20 - 25), as well as taking medication. After a few months of making the changes you can do yourself, if levels are still higher than you'd like, then you may need to discuss changes in medication with your GP.

Hi Paul Welcome.i haven't seen that programme but am avidity reading whats being said about it on here, it's a shame that they didn't use this opportunity to explain ways of controlling type 2 and how it's not always down to poor lifestyle choices, yes you read right I did say control One good thing that has come out of you watching that programme is, you've joined this forum. Give us a chance and we may be able to help you reduce your BG levels, ask questions Ok.
What insulins are you on , I'm on Insulatard and novo rapid for meals.

Hi Paul. Welcome.

Frightened, no. Motivated to improve your levels, yes.

Go back to your GP and ask for help to get your levels down. This may mean you cutting out additional carbs from your diet. It may mean altering your insulin. It may mean taking additional pills (perhaps metformin).

But do not leave things as they are. They are clearly not working for you.

Also, if you need advice there are plenty if people here who are very knowledgeable. Don't be a one poster! 🙂

Andy

Hi Paul and welcome. That programme scared me too. My levels are much better now I do carb counting and match my insulin to my carbs. Have you been on a carb counting course? If not ask your DSN if you can attend one, it helped me immensely.

Hi Paul, don't be frightened of Diabetes... loathe it, curse it, despise it for being the sneaky little git it is then bring it under your control.
Lots of good advice already given but now that you've found this place I'm sure you'll find loads more.
Welcome

Hello Paul and welcome. The folk on this forum really helped me get to grips with my diabetes...and now we'll all help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back