Friend's A1C 8.8 -->6.3, Is he Diabetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Benbow

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
So I have a friend who just told me they got their A1C down from 8.8 to 6.3. However, their fasting glucose was 196 (before it was like 290). Would you consider him diabetic?

This gives me hope that my A1C test in a few weeks will remain low (maybe not the 4.8 I got in May but still low) , and that my own fasting glucose reading of 134 the other day was a one off; not really indicative of anything. What do you think?

Fasting glucose of over 10 (196) is quite a strong indicator of diabetes.

290 is almost as high as my daughter’s was when she was diagnosed. So yes, I’d say he is diabetic. He may be able to get all his numbers down into the non-diabetic range, but if he stops doing whatever he is doing to get them down, they will go straight back up again. A non-diabetic person would be able to just eat whatever they like and their body will deal with it and their numbers will stay in the non-diabetic range all the time.

So I have a friend who just told me they got their A1C down from 8.8 to 6.3. However, their fasting glucose was 196 (before it was like 290). Would you consider him diabetic?

This gives me hope that my A1C test in a few weeks will remain low (maybe not the 4.8 I got in May but still low) , and that my own fasting glucose reading of 134 the other day was a one off; not really indicative of anything. What do you think?
Diabetic yes, presumably he’s diagnosed as diabetic anyway if he’s having a1cs done?

Yeah, but when would you say he is no longer diabetic?
When he’s dead. He’ll always be diabetic until then, even if he gets the a1c into a normal range it’s just well controlled diabetes.

When he’s dead. He’ll always be diabetic until then, even if he gets the a1c into a normal range it’s just well controlled diabetes.
I think the position is a bit different. If someone has normalised blood sugar AND restored insulin sensitivity AND restored insulin response then I would not call them diabetic, even though they had a residual susceptibility to becoming so. Such a person has eliminated the pathophysiology of diabetes, not just pulled their A1c down by, for instance, eating fewer carbs or using meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back