Fridge Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

margie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
OK - I haven't been around for a while, a lot going on with parents health etc.

Back to topic - for a few weeks I have been having quite erratic sugars, they improve when I change a cartridge but not for long. The morning values have been really high - and making me fed up.

So I started to wonder about the fridge - bought a fridge thermometer yesterday and the fridge is mainly at the upper end or above where it should be, however, the door compartment where I store the insulin is about 10. Now I know that insulin degrades above 8 and the rate of degredation increases with temp. The Lantus I have been using had been in the fridge for nearly 2 months, so I suspect has degraded quite a bit. I got a new box on Thursday so will start that today. Have moved the insulin to the slightly colder part of the fridge and have just ordered a new one.

I am wondering whether I should use my frio pack until I get the new fridge.

if you think the fridge is packing up, then get a new one. have a look round as some places you can do a trade in withthe old one. Certainly worth thtinking about to keep insulin at peak quality/performance

The new fridge will be here Wednesday. Didn't do a trade in, the council will pick up the old fridge and take it to a place that reconditions electrical appliances.

Its weird but when your BMs go funny the fridge is the last thing you think of.

SNAP .......my fridge is packing up aswell .....😱 what did you decide to get marg ? never brought one new always been given one ...its a total mystery to me ....

Buy the most expensive one you can - you get what you pay for. Cheap plastic, cheap thermostats etc. My current one is a Bosch and seems very good. I also have an old LG that's moved house with us. water dispenser packed up pretty quick but fridge and freezer still working well.

My Dad has a membership of Which so had a look on there for a reasonably priced fridge.

I have ordered a Beko TLDA625 Tall Larder Fridge.

I changed the insulin last night to one that I have had less than a week, so even if degraded slightly is still in range. Went to bed on 7 and woke up on 20. Ketones between ++ and +++, though I would imagine some of those ketones are fasting ones as I ate last at 6:30.

So have had breakfast, injected for it and taken extra to bring levels down. I have also e-mailed the DSN (more for reassurance than anything - but also to see if there is anything obvious that I have missed.)

sorry to hear about your problems with levels marg ...as for the fridge i had looked at the beko ones aswell .... ps i for no apparent reason had a 10.4 last night highest i ever remember ...so ummmm:confused: something weird going on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back