Freshwell Low Carb Resources

lordburnside

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
I have just downloaded a chart from Freshwell as recommended by another member. It puts foods into Green Amber and Red categories.
Red being bad Green good and amber in between.
Looking at the chart red categry I only eat 6 biscuits a week and I may have pasta twice a month.
On the amber chart I am guilty of eating peas, beans and 4 apples a month. A couple of bottles of wine a week and the odd whiskey keeps me sane but they are in the amber which is ok in moderation

All the rest of my food seems to be in the green (good) category so generally I am behaving quite well.

However I feel I need to do better but I am not sure giving up/reducing alcohol consumption is possible although I am generally drinking twice the recommended amount!

I need to walk more and sit less. Not sure what else I can do.

Probably still "amber" for Freshwell or maybe even "red" as more carbs, but if you want to reduce your alcohol intake but are struggling due to the habit side of having a drink or two every evening, you could try out some alcohol-free wines to see if you like any of those to alternate glasses, or lower alcohol wines to just use instead? I've given up alcohol (not for liver or anything like that, just because I'm ttc) and I've found that I'm not that keen on the fake red wines, but the noseco alcohol-free prosecco is nice. I'm also a beer drinker and there are quite a lot of good alcohol free (or nearly free) beers now

Slap me down if I am jumping to conclusions ... but I am getting the feeling that you lean towards all or nothing. You went all in to tackle issues, did awesomely well, then let it slide, and now look to be headed all-in again.

We all need things we enjoy in our life, I'd favour factoring a few bits of the bad stuff into your food. Not necessarily daily, and if knowing it's planned in advance you can eat less carbs in other meals that day. Ensuring you do enjoy your foods is what will help keep you on the right path. It would be good to find a balance that you can live with long term, avoiding the yoyo.

Maybe check out the lower carb drinks, I remember people discussing which alcoholic drinks had less effect on them.
It's not the one meal, or one snack that will be the issue, but the cumulative week / month / year.
You can do this 🙂

Slap me down if I am jumping to conclusions ... but I am getting the feeling that you lean towards all or nothing. You went all in to tackle issues, did awesomely well, then let it slide, and now look to be headed all-in again.

We all need things we enjoy in our life, I'd favour factoring a few bits of the bad stuff into your food. Not necessarily daily, and if knowing it's planned in advance you can eat less carbs in other meals that day. Ensuring you do enjoy your foods is what will help keep you on the right path. It would be good to find a balance that you can live with long term, avoiding the yoyo.

Maybe check out the lower carb drinks, I remember people discussing which alcoholic drinks had less effect on them.
It's not the one meal, or one snack that will be the issue, but the cumulative week / month / year.
You can do this 🙂
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping I could get away with some carbs etc each weekend and keep on the straight and narrow the rest of the week. Seems this is a 7 day week lifestyle. I am having a HBA1C check this week so we shall see how far I have strayed!

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping I could get away with some carbs etc each weekend and keep on the straight and narrow the rest of the week. Seems this is a 7 day week lifestyle. I am having a HBA1C check this week so we shall see how far I have strayed!
I'd say so long as you are factoring treats into your daily carbs then a treat can be reasonably regular, eg very low carb breakfast and lunch, then a carb treat in the evening meal to stay within, or close to your days limit (or as suits your lifestyle /meds).
The trick to fitting in a carby treat may be in finding lower carb alternatives for foods to give you the wriggle room for the treat.
I guess it all depends how much wriggle room you have (or can find) atm.

Seems your listed ‘transgressions’ are pretty benign. Some are actually great foods to eat. Why wouldn’t you be able to eat them?

I have decided to cut my alcohol consumption to the 14 units a week they recommend. Two bottles of white wine is 18 so might be slightly over! No whiskey, double cream or nectarines for a while and portions for one not portions for a sumo wrestler!

Its easy to transgress! I think its the alcohol thats done it.
I'm glad I don't drink. My liver has enough to do working alongside my pancreas to manage my BG, amongst other things, without the added burden of having to clear alcohol from my system. One hour to clear one unit I believe is what it takes.

I decided alcohol needed to go the journey as I was relying on it too heavily at times and I feel a lot better for not drinking now.

I'm glad I don't drink. My liver has enough to do working alongside my pancreas to manage my BG, amongst other things, without the added burden of having to clear alcohol from my system. One hour to clear one unit I believe is what it takes.
1 to 2 hours per unit if your liver is healthy. Not always easy to predict whether it will be 1 or 2 hours for an individual

1 to 2 hours per unit if your liver is healthy. Not always easy to predict whether it will be 1 or 2 hours for an individual
I agree it depends on the individual, but as usual it's all based on the 'average' person, whoever that is. This is what www.drinkaware.co.uk has to say:-

It takes an average adult around an hour to process one unit of alcohol so that there's none left in their bloodstream, although this varies from person to person. And the more you drink, the longer it takes – so, six units of alcohol would take the average person six hours to process.

I agree it depends on the individual, but as usual it's all based on the 'average' person, whoever that is. This is what www.drinkaware.co.uk has to say:-

It takes an average adult around an hour to process one unit of alcohol so that there's none left in their bloodstream, although this varies from person to person. And the more you drink, the longer it takes – so, six units of alcohol would take the average person six hours to process.
I remember going to a talk given by the person who was involved in designing the breathalyser and he said people would not realise that they could have had a couple of pints at lunchtime and then another whilst waiting to get the train home after work and then be over the limit when they drove home from the station or if they had had a lot to drink i the evening they could still be over the limit for driving the next morning.

I remember going to a talk given by the person who was involved in designing the breathalyser and he said people would not realise that they could have had a couple of pints at lunchtime and then another whilst waiting to get the train home after work and then be over the limit when they drove home from the station or if they had had a lot to drink i the evening they could still be over the limit for driving the next morning.
We got chats about alcohol in mum and baby groups when my teens were little, and they were also saying that if you had a lot to drink in an evening (like 20+ units) it could be 2+ days till you were sober enough to drive if your liver was one that took 2 hours per unit

Back